Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 1 month ago

Day 6 of moving to Clearwater: small snake in house. ?

It’s a small dark snack, about a foot long. It may have slipped in through the front door while I was raking leaves and sweeping away dirt near the front door. Came inside and 20 minutes later there was a tiny snake staring at me near the door then it slid underneath the refrigerator.

I’m concerned, is this the norm in Clearwater? 

I’ve seen a ton of common lizards and frog in the front yard but I’m not used to snakes. 

There are two kinds of venomous snakes in Florida. They are the Eastern coral snake and rattlesnakes. The coral snakes are tiny and they have short fangs so they are not much or a threat. The rattlesnakes can be deadly. They are short and chubby, with a rattle at the end of the tail. If you see a snake with a tail that tapers to a point, then it is not a rattlesnake. I would suggest you google Florida snakes, while your memory is still fresh and see if you can identify the snake you saw online.

This is the time of year that young snakes that hatch earlier this year are moving around, looking to eat as much as they can before looking for a place to go into hibernation.

There is one way to trap a small snake and that is to use 2 sided adhesive tape. Put the tape on the ground where you expect the snake to come out of hiding,, and when a snake crawls over it, it will get stuck.

maybe you can leave a trail of treats going out the door and he might leave that way

• oikoσ

Did it have a yellow ring around its neck? It could be a ring-necked snake. Or not. Either way, it's probably harmless to you but not to the little critters you'd rather not have in your house.

A gator may show up next. That's usual for that part of the country. Pull out the fridge and kill it, or take it back outdoors. Make sure there are no gaps/cracks/spaces around doors, windows, etc.