Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationFishing · 1 month ago

How long can I keep an 8 inch bluegill alive if I put it in a 5 gallon bucket with an aerator and change the water daily?

• Bob
    Best Answer

How long would you live if we put you in a 50 gallon drum with fresh food and water?

In a 5gal bucket? Not very long. You need a water filter to have it last more than a week even with your water changes daily.

I know minnows will live in a minnow bucket for weeks as long as you refresh the water and put air in. Other than that I would throw bits of food in from time to time to keep them full

I would just leave it where you found it but it would probably stay alive days if it had oxygen and food.

• BOBBER

Besides keeping it alive the other problem is in several if not all states it is against the law.

Go get an aquarium. I bet the online local sale site has many listed. You know the pet shops sell some cool predator fish like Piranhas and different types of small Sharks. Well they are dostile compared to ANY Fresh water Game Fish. I once had the idea of a Small Bass from a pond I had stocked. So was just a small 7 " Bass. I thought it would be cool and show off my aggressive predator. I thought I would keep it warm for the winter inside rather then ice cold lake. I went to the bait shop and bought a dozen minnows to feed it. The darn thing woooofed a dozen minnows as soon as they hit the water. What the heck am I gonna feed it the rest of the week ? The rest of the month, OR the rest of the winter ?

Here is the OTHER problem. Wild fish often have parasites. Hazardous to your domestic pet shop types of fish. NOT only that, parasites are a NIGHTMARE to rid the tank of once you have them. I found little squiggly 1/4" worms floating all through the water. Tried everything to get rid of them. EVEN took a sample to our Local college. SO happens at this time I was introduced to a guy who just happened to be From Georgia University, one of the TOP parasitologist in our country. He showed me under a microscope, said yep, those are common Nematold worms.

I drained the tank, I poisoned the water, and drained the tank, NEVER got rid of them UNTIL I got rid of the 150 gallon tank itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nematode

SO I say DON'T DO IT. Leave wild fish in the wild OR pay the consequences for doing a good deed. NO good deed goes unpunished.

* I actually had the idea of getting a school of Northern Pike or Muskie for my fish tank of predators, I never made it that far. WAY to expensive to feed those things.

I imagine with food, quite some time, but I would consider a much larger tank.