Louisa asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

I think I might have an eating disorder, where do I go from here?

I'm seventeen and virtually my entire life I've been an overtly picky eater. It's greatly impeded not only my health, but my social life. I get really scared when my friends suggest eating out bc I have a very unhealthily select diet and I don't want them to judge me. I think this might've stemmed from my large variety of stomach issues that I had as a baby that I continued to get misdiagnosed with for years. By third grade, I was throwing up multiple times during the week and I would wake up with severe stomach pain every morning. Now I refuse to eat anything that I didn't make/buy or I've never eaten before. I think I have a variation of ARFID. When I was fourteen-sixteen, I utilized my select diet in order to lose an unhealthy amount of weight fast. Ik this is just a novel of my personal information that I've never told anyone (I tried talking too my parents but it's not really a priority for them rn) but I just want to know what steps I can take to improve the overall quality of my life. Thanks!

Just to clarify - I use to have painful stomach aches and throw up a lot, but I don't anymore. I'm not saying I'm all better, because my dietary habits definitely would suggest that I'm far from healthy. I will only eat a couple specific foods and I use the same two foods throughout the day. The reason why I mentioned my previous stomach problems was because I think they are the root cause of my poor diet.

• Andy C
    Best Answer

I'm going to start off with saying that you are your parent's biggest priority. Don't think that you are not important to them.

Maybe they don't know what to do.

Good news, I probably do.

You describe IBS, but what exactly is IBS? IBS is one symptom of metabolic syndrome brought on by a diet high in fructose and low in fiber.

Do you regularly consume sugar, HFCS, honey, nectar, juice, molasses, maple syrup and/or white flour products?

All these are too high in fructose and w/o fiber. Why does this matter? Bc fructose is poisonous to the liver and gut when consumed chronically.

You were vomiting? Same thing happens when you drink too much alcohol.

Far too much information to convey here, so I recommend that you read the book that informed me: "Fat Chance..." by Dr. Robert Lustig M.D.

A lot of minutiae that you don't need to understand in order to see how your body is trying to communicate that it is sick.

Source(s): If you haven't run for the hills, yet, here's a list of things that chronic sugar/fructose consumption leads to: Acne IBS Obesity/fat. Heart disease Liver disease Diabetes II Hypothyroidism EATING DISORDERS Poor immune health You needn't understand exactly how in order to avoid sugar and other sources of fructose (including pasta and sliced breads) for a month and see what happens.
    • LAN
      1 month agoReport

Dr Lustig is a quack moron

My sis has ARFID, it sounds like you might have it too. Seek out a professional. If anyone tells you you're just a picky eater, they’re wrong.

• LAN

You are an attention whore. That's why you will never go to a doctor about this and will just imagine what your problems really are.

• LAN
      4 weeks agoReport

Still doesn't explain why you aren't seeing a doctor about this idiocy instead of begging for attention here. Your problem is imaginary. That's why you don't see a doctor and just beg for attention here.

Go to tacobell or mcdonalds

• Louisa1 month agoReport

That's the problem - I have a very hard time branching out and trying new things. It's really not as simple as "just eat a bigger variety." Ik you're just trying to help and I really appreciate it, but I don't think I can rn

Tell your friends that you have a stomach problem and that you can only eat certain foods before you go out.