Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 month ago

I’m a new driver and I’m doing bad and I feel awful :( What do I do?

I’m 17 and I’ve had my license for two months. I finally got over my intense fear of driving. Today I drove for my first time alone. I cut off two people on accident! Also, I was backing out of a parking spot and I knew I hadn’t backed up enough, but I tried to leave anyway and I scraped my car against another. My car was barely scratched and the other car was fine. Literally right after this happened I was obviously shaken up and drove over a divider/curb thing in the parking lot! My question is how do I feel more confident as a driver? I know what to do and I’m very cautious yet I keep messing up. I feel really stupid. Are most people bad drivers when they first start? Please help :(((.

• car253

OK. So, you cut someone off by accident. We all do that. Then you drive over a Median you didn't see. We all have done that too. You are not a bad driver. And, you can learn from those experiences.

Keep on driving. Only experience will help. And, you will learn everything in time.

maybe give up the license? 

it's best for everyone!!

Source(s): #common sense and life!!

Practice is all you gotta do

You really suck! lol. No I wasnt that bad when I started driving "cough-cough" years ago. Believe it or not playing emersive racing video games as a teenager helped me a lot before I stated driving. You might want to go practice at an arcade. But you have to get rid of fear and panic and replace that with learing as much as you can and practice.

Try going to a mini racing track or something.

• zipper

You need to learn to play attention to every thing around you, Look and relook before you leap. Then I leaped and saved my own life. You got to learn LOOK IN ALL DIRECTION AT THE SAME TIME!

I started my daughter off driving when she was 10 (on a manual transmission). I had her drive around in large empty parking lots, taught her how to drive in reverse, parallel park, etc. - then, when she got older, I had her drive around a loop road at an office park on the weekends when there was minimal traffic.

That's your best bet before you get back out on the road again - get some cones or boxes and learn how to maneuver in a large parking lot. Then when you get back out on the road, you will be able to focus more attention on other vehicles, rather than worrying about operating the car itself.

• car253
      1 month agoReport

Letting a minor drive without a license is a MAJOR violation in California. 2 points on your DMV record for 7 years. I don't agree with it. If you are on your own property or in a very safe location. But that is the law. Don't do it. Other states have different laws.

If you knew you had not backed up far enough, why didn't you back up more? What can you do? Pay more attention, do the right things.

• audrey

No. Most people are not that bad. Stop driving. Take a driver's course. Practice in an empty parking lot. I would not want to be on the road with you.

You're a dipichit and should walk.

• CB

No, most people are not THAT bad at first and don't freak out and exacerbate the problems by running over ****.

Buy some orange cones, set them up in an empty parking lot and practice parking. Then practice (on the road) NOT cutting people off and when you do analyze why you cut them off and learn from the experiences.

There is no better teacher than experience, but she is a harsh teacher. Oh and turn off the music, and the smart phone - 100% focus on driving.