Seniors (OAPs) did you find it difficult to make friends as a child, were you always the loner that no-one else wanted to spend time with?

How much have you improved since those long-ago days and how similar are you still? I know some very shy older people and wonder if they were very shy (as I was), when they were children. I only began to mix easily in my mid 60s.

Best Answer

Yes, that description fits me perfectly. I was very much a loner until I reached old age. As a child I obeyed my parents, did what they wanted, visited whom they took me to visit, had no say in much at all. Sadly I married a control freak who got all his own way too so, only when I left him (decades later) did I become a person in my own right. I've blossomed since then and now there's no turning back. I now make friends very easily and have many.

• Mark

Middlė & High school were the mos awkwrd

times for me as not only had 0 friends but

quite a few bullies which drove me to near suicidė.

Nope. The baby boomers had lots of kids, I never ran out of someone to play with. If I was alone, it was by choice.

I was never shy as a child. We were surrounded by two neighbors that had several children. But, since I have retired, I have become a loner. I can't explain it either.

I spent the first 10 years on a farm and there was no one close to "play" with, I got along ok at school, but after school and on week-ends it was just my sister who was about 10 years older and not much into "playing" with me. When we moved in town I didn't feel I fit in and a few friends, but not many.

Yes, I was extremely shy and didn't change until I left home to work miles away from my family and friends. Once I was anonymous (in some ways) I found it easy to be myself and make friends. Back home I was never able to get away from that shy person and knew that whatever I said would be commented on by others. Once away with strangers it was just much easier to be the real me. I never wanted to do things that were illegal, wrong in any way but I had a life before where everything I did or said was commented on and felt answerable to others as to why I said or did certain things. Once away from that I just relaxed and became the real ME that I wanted to be. I never returned home permanently but never broke links with any branches of my family either.

You just described me to a tee. I was extremely shy, didn't know how to make friends and when I did I was too shy to talk and I didn't know how to play games that they liked to play so I was a bore too! I hated feeling like a burden so I accepted my fate as a loner.

I have never felt comfortable among other people and have always been that weirdo everyone stays away from. I am almost fifty and have never been married, never had a boyfriend/girlfriend, never had sex, never been kissed, never even been on a date. I have no friends either, not even at work. I only talk to my mother and occasionally my brother. I don't know what I will do if anything happens to either of them because I will be so alone.

• A C

No. I was always very outgoing. I did, however, annoy a lot of people so several did not like spending time with me for that reason.

• Laredo

I was an only child and did not have any problems making friends with other children. My father's job moved around the country a few times, so in each new town I did not know anyone. I had to go out and get to know people or stay in the house all the time and just make friends at school.

I am not an outgoing person neither am I a shy person, sort of in the middle, I like the company of other people but still like time to myself, even if it is only to read a book.

• Jojo

I WAS an only child so I did tend to be a bit of a loner although in my teens I became a lot more gregarious.

However, I have reverted to being a loner as I have aged as certain mental problems have made me afraid/wary of socialising under certain conditions. (Misophonia) (I`m female 74)

I enjoy my own company most of the time apart from my GSD who is my constant companion.

I`m certainly NOT shy and tend to be rather forthright which does not go down well with some people. I say what I think and sometimes without really `thinking` of what effect it may have on someone who is more sensitive than me. SO....not many REAL friends to speak of. Just 4 now that I can call proper and long lasting friends. They understand me and take me as I am.

Life has made me very wary and distrustful of most people and i am very choosy about who I do actually want to be friends with.

Its a long long story and I often feel I have been dealt a poor deal in life due to my traumatic childhood, and I envy people who appear to be so `normal`and well adjusted.

I must admit though that my confidence is 100% better now than from my teenage years up to when I was 45 y/o.

But I still get that awful inferiority complex feeling now and then in certain situations.

I count MY blessings often though, as many folk are a darn sight worse off than me in the social stakes.

Source(s): (UK)