Anonymous

How to get better accounting work?

I'm college graduate and just started an entry level accounting position at a private equity accounting firm. Entry level accounting jobs are ridiculously mind numbing boring. It is work designed to induce boredom. But we can’t lose focus because we must have our work achieved to precision perfection.

My first job was an accounts payable position where I entered numbers into accounting software for 9-10 hours a day. It was the cruelest and worst job that I have ever held. I also made a couple of mistakes. But I doubt its possible to enter numbers 10 hrs a day daily for years without a single error unless you have superhuman qualities.

After I left that job, I have found myself another job. It is not nearly as bad however, it so boring and unstimulating. The job skill only required is “how fast and accurately can you copy and paste numbers from excel spreadsheets and onto accounting software 9-10 hours a day?”

I know accounting will always require some sort of data entry and I’m ok with doing it. But I just find it unbearable when I must do it for 9-10 hours a day. I’m also not the best at it. I end up losing focus due to being bored.

Currently, I’m trying to look to transfer to finance right now. My goal is to become a portfolio manager in charge of investments. But of course, I didn’t study finance so that’s a disadvantage. Currently, I’m trying to study for the cpa and hopefully that will help improve my chances of getting into finance.

Right now, accounting is just not doing it for me. Entry level jobs are the worst.

: If I pass my cpa exams, would that help me achieve a better job where its not data entry heavy or mind numbing? Or would it not matter?

• B

first, you were were not really doing accounting, you were clerking, if they told you data entry was accounting that was a lie. next, real accounting is done by CPA's and by public accounting firms. Go to indeed.com and put in the code word accounting and the zipcode where you might want to work and check out only CPA 's and public accounting firms, they will start you on the road to real accounting assignments.

second, you get yourself a CPA review class, and start on the road to your certification. Your accounting skills need to be certified which means either you have the ability to pass the CPA exam and the college classwork or you don't, and if you don't you go back to night school to pick up the classes. Check out your state's CPA exam schedule and get ito a review class.

Look for an entry-level position in a public accounting firm. I did that many years ago and turned it into a very successful career. After 3 years gaining bookkeeping basics at the first firm, I changed to another firm and learned income tax prep. I then moved to 2 other firms (one b/c of moving to a different area) and each time I was able to learn more at each firm and my salary increased accordingly. I eventually left public accounting to work as an accounting mgr in a non-profit. Pay and benefits were excellent.

Your jobs you've had are more data entry than accounting.. Accounting itself is calculating the numbers.. but must be accurate or you won't have the job long.

• Don G

Try to get a job in public accounting.

If you want exciting...stop being an accountant.

Seriously.

The most exciting accounting jobs are those of Forensic Accountant and Auditor. You get to examine peoples finances for wrongdoing and bust them for tax evasion. (Like the move 'The Accountant'.

But you still have to spend all day pouring over bank statements and checking accounts and check books and computer records just looking for one decimal that is off.

And that, my friend IS MIND-NUMBINGLY BORING for 99.9% of humans.

Seriously, most people want to run around and have fun and they are afraid of numbers...that is WHY- ACCOUNTANTS EXIST.

My friends and co-workers who are accountants use their spare time ( and they manage to accrue quite a bit, you'd be surprised)

They use their spare time and the awesome salaries they get to do funthings.

Several do the local stand up comedy circuit. ( I guess being alone with long columns of numbers allows one time to write jokes)

One plays violin.

Bob does pottery and sells it at craft fairs in the summer.\

Diane paints, and sells her work at the church fair.

Barbara trains to compete on American Ninja Warrior.

All of these people do not really think of Accounting as their 'real job' they think of accounting as the way to pay the bills and live comfortably while pursuing their hobbies.

One of my accounting friends brews craft beer.

• Foofa

You’re basically describing what accounting is as an occupation. But I have a friend who does production accounting for big movies and she at least gets to go to fun parties and film openings.