Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

Could you eat on $20 a week?

33 Answers

Relevance
  • Jane
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best Answer

$20 for a week for one person? No problem. I'm in the UK, I can go to a discount store like Lidl or Aldi, and local ethnic stores in my city, plus veg markets locally. Would be harder in a rural or small town situation!

Also I like to cook, and can make delicious healthy foods using recipes from around the world where people have learned ways to enjoy and survive using what they have.

I work in a community kitchen where we feed a main course and dessert for 60 people a week for £50 sterling per week- this week we have made lemon lentil soup with cumin flatbreads, banoffee pie, cauliflower and potato curry with rice and chocolate cheesecake, spinach and feta filo pie with slaw and greens, and toffee apple cake.

Use your imagination and enjoy cooking, it doesn't have to be just ramen!

• 1 month ago

Grocery shopping, yes. 

• B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

yes, but it would basically no take outs and maybe pasta, vegetables, and reliance on donated milk/cereal

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

yea but it wouldnt be a lyfestyle

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Sure. Between good shopping, food banks and blessing boxes, no problem.

• 1 month ago

It's not impossible, but you would have to eat a lot less than you are right now.

• 1 month ago

Possible, but not pleasant.

1 costco-size bottle dehydrated vegetables

1 bag lentils

1 bag rice

1 box powdered milk

1 can lard

In the right proportions, this could make survival gruel, the same thing for every meal. Salt, pepper, ketchup, etc, could be pilfered from fast food places to add interest. Taco bell even has hot sauce.

In a large city in the US, there might be a food bank or mission, as well as the possibility of intercepting perfectly good food before it is thrown away, or just after.

In a more rural area or near the wild, there is the possibility of harvesting seaweed, digging sand crabs, picking wild greens, digging roots, even the outside chance of fishing, hunting, or trapping.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

$3 a day. Possible without starving, but your choices would be VERY limited.

• 1 month ago

No. Unless you eat Ramen every meal.

• 1 month ago

Yes, and have had to before. Granted, it was nothing exceptional and not really healthy. Ramen, tuna, beans, rice, and eggs was the extent of it. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.