Rod asked in TravelUnited StatesNew Orleans · 2 months ago

So whats up with hotel fees during mardi gras?

I was expecting the htoels to be expensive...but 200 a night for the hotel and then another 100+ Hotel fee? Ended up over 600 for 2 nights new orleans mardi gras...We re close to everything which is nice but we re in a pretty shitty hotel in a pretty shitty area on the border of the garden district. Even though we got a lesser hotel ended up being reasonably priced to other nicer hotels. Due to the outlandish hotel fee. Whats up with that

We're staying here because other hotels are booked out. We also booked 11 months in advance...hotels go fast during Mardi Gras

Maybe I wasn't clear...no I did not expect a "discount" or cheap rates. I was mroe so questioning the hotel fee and taxes being high....I expected the room per night to be high not the fees per say. No need to be rude people. I get it's the internet and you have shitty lives but being a dick on the internet isn't gonna make you happier. I'm going with a group of people so I'm actually only paying a couple hundred. I was just curious. I didn't know hotels could change taxes/free. Just nightlyrate

As long as people will pay those rip-off prices, hotels will charge them.

• F

Supply and demand is the official term, also called "let's rip off the tourists".

Supply and demand. Everyone wants to be there. Hotels charge what they can get. Did you try AirB&B?

• John

And this is news to you?

• Foofa

What's "up with that" is a city with a lot of social needs survives primarily on tourism and happens to have this one very tourist friendly event every year. It's called supply and demand.

• GTB

It is a busy time in NOLA during Mardi Gras and all vendors are aggressively pricing things because they have naive visitors. If you do not want to be exploited, don't go; if you go, you will be exploited and should not complain. Now decide if you want to be a victim of exploitation or a mature adult.

Most of the hotels I can see that are close to the city center or on the Saint Charles Avenue parade route are $350 to $450 a night so even with the "fee" you are paying somewhat less than the average.

Exactly which dates did you book?

I was expecting the htoels to be expensive...but 200 a night for the hotel and then another 100+ Hotel fee? Ended up over 600 for 2 nights new orleans mardi gras...We re close to everything which is nice but we re in a pretty shitty hotel in a pretty shitty area on the border of the garden district.

• Zirp
      1 month agoReport

not an answer. please report

Welcome to the world of PEAK pricing.

Everywhere in the World The locals know the special events that have high demand on rooms. The Hotels and others charge what they can as they like to make money too.

If you want the cheap r rates then go either before or after Mardis Gras. As you discovered the other places are sold out.

Were you expecting a discount rate?  Superbowl week prices were much higher.

• .

It is called price gouging