Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Cooking meats such as fish or chicken on the stove top. When cooking these types of meats, recipes state to give some space between the?

pieces of meat so the meat does not steam. Why is steamed meat so bad? It still cooks the food, doesnt it? So what is the issue?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • IvaB
    Lv 5
    1 month ago
    Best Answer

Steaming prevents searing or browning,which develops a lot of flavor.

• denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If your 'searing' beef [for instance] its good to keep the pieces separate because when their cooked on further, the flavor & tenderness stays on.

If you 'crowd' the pan at first it makes more liquid and the meat stews too early, making the meat tough.

• Sparky
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Steaming will not sear and seal the outside of the meat.

This changes the flavour and consistency of the meat.

• 1 month ago

Steamed foods have their place but when you are trying to sear a food items typically you are trying to develop a "crust" and the caramelization develops that crust and you get a bit of a texture difference as well as another taste to the food.

It also helps if you are using the correct pan. A deep pot or pan will not allow moisture to evaporate resulting in the same steaming even if you only have 1 piece of fish, chicken or burger. Using a large skillet or frying pan allows the moisture to more easily evaporate so the food will not steam as easily

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I think the answer is that the steam tends to toughen the meat and make it rubbery. Imagine twin New York strip steaks side by side. Imagine twin frying pans side-by-side on two identical stove burners. The pan on the right has a light coating of oil, and the pan on the left has a half-inch of water in it. Turn em up both full-blast, and place each steak in its own pan and cook them for three minutes on each side. Which will be better?

• 1 month ago

I dont care about steam I care about them sticking together

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.