Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 2 months ago

My cousin is not overweight in any sense but he is recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes?

Is "being overweight is what causes type 2 diabetes" simply bullsh*t?

• GEEGEE

There is often a genetic component but excess weight is often a risk factor.

No. It's not bullshit. It's just not true for everyone, that's all.

Some people may eat a poor diet without being overweight.

Or, his pancreas just may have decided to give-out for some reason.

Note that Type 2 is often mis-diagnosed for people who are on drugs for other conditions. Two people I know have been diagnosed, but both of them are at good weights, walk and exercise daily, and eat far, far more fruit and vegetables than I do.

• k w

usually , diet can control it, but many balk at , changing what they eat.......just eat fresh fruits and veggies for a month, he'll drop weight and feel better too, maybe will no longer be diabetic.......his choice.....BUT staying that way, is the real tuff part......

• Byrd

It can be a contributing factor but it isn't a single cause

weight a risk factor.  Like texting while driving.  You can text while driving a car and never have an accident, but texting while driving is become one of the more common causes of traffic accidents. 

Type 2 diabetes is when your blood sugar level becomes high because your body cannot produce enough insulin.  Some people develop type 2 diabetes because they are overweight and they can reduce their symptoms by losing weight.  Some people develop type 2 diabetes because their pancreas is not performing correctly.  Some people are wrongly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on the basis of one high blood sugar reading.  Occasional spikes in blood sugar are normal: it's when it stays high that you have a problem.

For anyone diagnosed with type 2 diabetes or who is worried they may have it, I recommend buying a home blood sugar testing kit.  Check your blood sugar levels every day immediately before and 2 hours after starting your main meal.  Then take all of the readings to your doctor.

• David

Actually, the body does make enough insulin.  But fat and inert chemicals in the bloodstream diminish the effectiveness of insulin.  So the body tries to make more to compensate.  

Diabetes is caused by your muscle liver and fat cells not getting enough insulin. you develop diabetes when your body creates an immunity to insulin which can be caused by a combination of genetics and lifestyle.

being over weight is a symptom of a poor life style but that doesn't necessarily mean you have diabetes it just means you are more likely to get it.

• Pippin

Actually there are many endocrine disorders (like PCOS) that make obesity more likely AND increase the risk of diabetes.  Neither one has anything to do with lifestyle.

There may be a relationship between the two, but I would think it's more that things that cause one also cause the other. But those causes don't necessarily lead to being overweight. Some people find it hard to gain weight, and they could get diabetes, or other problems that overweight people typically have.

(I'm speaking here from my general health knowledge. I know little about diabetes in particular.)

No because some people are genetically predisposed to having diabetes and others get it as a result of poor diet & being overweight.