Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 2 months ago

Can diabetic (type2) eat ice cream?

No ice cream has sugar in it.

• You can do whatever you want, but most commercial ice creams are fairly high in carbs because of the amount of sugar that is in it. I'm diabetic and I make homemade ice cream. I cut WAY back on the amount of sugar that is called for and I don't use any high-carb ingredients like caramel or cookies. I make ice creams with very dark chocolate, nuts and lower-carb fruits like berries. Even with all that, I still eat just a single small scoop.

Ice cream is often high in saturated fat due to the cream and fat content. However, Nampudripad says in diabetes, the main problem is sugar and carbohydrates. “Fat is actually helpful as it lowers the overall glycemic index of the ice cream, making it less likely to spike your blood sugar quickly,” she says.

Choosing from a wide range of available ice cream products can be difficult for people with diabetes.

They must take into account the number of carbohydrates, the calorie count, and any fat content in the product, as well as serving size.

The following are the best brands and flavors for those who have diabetes.

Blue Bunny Ice Cream: This brand offers vanilla and chocolate options. Both contain 20 grams (g) of carbohydrates per ½-cup serving.

Breyers Creamy Vanilla: This contains minimal fat and 17 g of total carbohydrates per ½ cup. Breyers offer a similar product in chocolate flavor that has the same number of total carbohydrates.

The manufacturer also offers some flavors with no added sugar. However, these varieties contain multiple artificial sweeteners, which can still make blood sugar increase.

Edy's: This manufacturer produces several varieties of their slow-churned ice creams, which contain around 20 g carbohydrates or less per ½-cup serving. The Neopolitan flavor of Edy's contains only 14 g.

Halo Top: Halo provides ice cream flavors with additional protein and low carbohydrates. They are able to use lower amounts of sugar due to the use of the sugar alcohol erythritol, which provides sweetness without adding empty calories.

The addition of protein helps slow down the absorption of sugar into the blood, making it a good choice for people with diabetes. Their vanilla bean contains 5 grams of protein, 5 grams of sugar alcohol, and just under 15 grams of carbs per ½ cup serving.

Yes, but not every day nor a lot at any time

Small amounts once every 2 weeks is fine. Everyday, no. I watched my dad who also has diabetes growing up. He stayed away from sugar and had small amounts of it when he did eat it,

diabetics can eat what ever they want as long as they count the carbs into their daily limit.

As a diabetic you soon learn that the less high carb treats you eat, the more solid nourishing food you get to eat.

BUT a treat, in small quantities is not off limits at all.

Source(s): health care food service chef for 10 years. Hubby, mother, mother in law and sister in law all diabetic.

As an occasional treat (like once a month)? Sure. As a part of your regular diet. No. If you are insulin you can cover it, but still it is better to significantly reduce sugar laden food.

• Jamie

If they can keep their blood sugar in range . Myself being on insulin I can cover my insulin needs if I have a treat . Not sure if the tablet treated diabetics have that 'freedom'

You can but you aren't supposed to.