Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTrying to Conceive · 2 months ago

My fiance and I want to start trying to have a baby but I'm overweight, will I have a hard time conceiving?

I'm "obese" however any tests, blood pressure etc come back completely normal and I have very regular menstrual cycles.

I'm aware that if you are obese that it can be harder to conceive but from what I've read that's due to irregular menstrual cycles and ovulation.

So with everything being normal in my system minus the weight itself, will I have to go through drastic measures to get pregnant? Or will I have the same chances as everyone else?

Yes I am aware everyone is different but I just want opinions/tips?

• John P

Only an examination by a doctor could tell you how your body might react to trying to become pregnant.

A year or so ago an obese (seriously obese) woman gave birth without even knowing she was pregnant until an hour before she gave birth (a dash to the hospital in an ambulance, no time to transfer to the maternity suite, birth happened in the ambulance outside the hospital). True story - the mother-in-law of that woman is a friend of mine, not a person who exaggerates stories.

Just roll yourself in flour and tell him to aim for the wet spot.

Tips....lose some weight

• Jose

In most cases, obese women can conceive without issue.

Obese women are more likely to have issues with high blood pressure and issues affecting the kidneys during pregnancy.

Here's  a tip, lose some weight. That should help in more ways than one.