what is the most respectful way to refer to a person with autism? is “children with an autism spectrum disorder” correct?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Nathan
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Yes, but I don't see what the problem is with calling us autistic people. I mean, we have autism and we are autistic. It means the same thing. I suppose it's down to personal preference but usually it's the parents who have a problem with how we're addressed

• 2 months ago

I have Asperger's Syndrome or Level 1 autism. I dance so close to being normal that no one knows I have autism unless I tell them. I'm not really offended by people calling me autistic or a person with autism or whatever. I do find the "R" word very offensive (retard). I actually have very high intelligence and people tell me that I must be some kind of genius all the time.

• 2 months ago

hard to say, many autism self advocates do not like person 1st language. they want you to refer to them as autistic or autistic person, not person with autism.

some want person 1st language...

the most respectful way is the way that person (or their family if they cannot advocate for themselves) want you to...

• 2 months ago

I think the word you're looking for is 'tard' or 'autist'

• Ludwig
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

If you mean that Swedish bint you can call her a fanny.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

the most respectful way is to not mention the autism at all ... unless the context requires it. if that is the case, your proposed wording is fine

• Ludwig
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I think the most respectful way to refer to them is 'starseed children'.

Starseed children often feel more comfortable communicating with animals, nature, trees, and even inatimate objects such as stuffed animals or toys when they are very young; some may have a feeling or sense as if these things are 'conscious' and can understand them.

• 2 months ago

Leave the labels to the mattress companies. This is a child, or even an adult.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.