what is the most respectful way to refer to a person with autism? is “children with an autism spectrum disorder” correct?

• Nathan

Yes, but I don't see what the problem is with calling us autistic people. I mean, we have autism and we are autistic. It means the same thing. I suppose it's down to personal preference but usually it's the parents who have a problem with how we're addressed

I have Asperger's Syndrome or Level 1 autism. I dance so close to being normal that no one knows I have autism unless I tell them. I'm not really offended by people calling me autistic or a person with autism or whatever. I do find the "R" word very offensive (retard). I actually have very high intelligence and people tell me that I must be some kind of genius all the time.

hard to say, many autism self advocates do not like person 1st language. they want you to refer to them as autistic or autistic person, not person with autism.

some want person 1st language...

the most respectful way is the way that person (or their family if they cannot advocate for themselves) want you to...

I think the word you're looking for is 'tard' or 'autist'

• Ludwig
      1 month agoReport

If you mean that Swedish bint you can call her a fanny.

the most respectful way is to not mention the autism at all ... unless the context requires it. if that is the case, your proposed wording is fine

• Ludwig

I think the most respectful way to refer to them is 'starseed children'.

Starseed children often feel more comfortable communicating with animals, nature, trees, and even inatimate objects such as stuffed animals or toys when they are very young; some may have a feeling or sense as if these things are 'conscious' and can understand them.

Leave the labels to the mattress companies. This is a child, or even an adult.