dustin asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

The bicycle shop told me they couldn't really tighten the rear hub bearings.?

The bicycle shop said they ordered a special tool to remove the cassette, but the tool the bicycle shop ordered didn't work quite the way the bicycle shop wanted it to. The bicycle shop said no one makes the tool for my 1987 Dahon Stowaway folding bicycle.

What tool do I need to buy? The cassette is Falcon LIFEI LTD CO. The tool is a cassette tool basically. That is what I know from my own research. I have heard from other people on youtube.com that that tool has been discontinued. Without taking off the cassette I can't really tighten down the rear hub bearings and neither can the bicycle shop.

Thank you ahead of time.

Needs a tool for a 32-year-old bike, so rather than ask at another shop, comes here with incomplete/wrong info and asks. We're left not knowing if the question was how to tighten bearings or get a freewheel off. Sheesh. We're just enthusiasts, not industry experts. Advice from enthusiast: take it to another bike shop or replace the wheel with a modern equivalent.

To the best of my knowledge Falcon has never made a cassette. However I've removed many Falcon freewheels. The removal tool is fairly common and can be ordered off the internet. I suggest finding another bicycle shop.

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.
  • Jon

Try contacting A to B Magazine http://www.atob.org.uk/ Jane and David Henshaw, the proprietors, are very knowledgeable about folders, and 'Professor Pivot' who writes the technical column even more so.

• David

You’re asking a lot for people to be immediately able to recite details about a ”1987 Dahon Stowaway”. Finding a reliable spec online isn’t easy. Closeup pics of the rear would have helped.

Odds are, its a freewheel, not a cassette.

It’s often possible to adjust the bearing preload (on multi-speed) freewheels working only from the Non-Drive Side. Locknut and cone should be accessible from there. Sometimes you can even pull the axle by only removing the NDS cone etc.

Failing that, it’s ALWAYS possible to remove a f/w destructively.

Call a few other shops, ask If they have a ”freewheel puller for a Falcon freewheel”. Anyone say yes, take the bike there. Otherwise, ride until you’re ready/forced to accept destructive removal and to buy a new freewheel.

Sure it isn't a freewheel hub & not a cassette? If it is in fact a freewheel, this one from Park Tool might be what you need. https://www.parktool.com/product/freewheel-remover...

Buy a new bike.