Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

What should I do about my child's social studies teacher who encouraged his students to protest against gun violence?

My child came home today and complained about his social studies teacher. She told me that this isn't the first time her social studies teacher unashamedly aired his left-leaning political views to his students. According to other parents who live in my neighborhood, he has a history of shoving his political views down students' throats.

Before you all tell me to contact the school board, we did. They are well-aware of this, but because he's a 30-year tenured veteran teacher, he can't be fired.

The teacher is OPPOSED to GUNS! Period!

*her social studies teacher

Oh don't get over excited over this.  Honestly, didn't you ever encounter a teacher or friends with different beliefs, customs, and political views than yours?  Your child is more likely to be influenced by friends, the internet, and TV than by the teacher and by even you I dare say.  I taught for 22 years from grades 5 to 12.  Kids don't develop  left or right leaning views at school. You do your  job at home and get that kid a Life membership to the NRA and an AK47 and all will be fine!

Gun violence and gun ownership are two different things. The Second Amendment does not condone gun 'violence'--it gave the right to bear arms to all citizens (during the Revolutionary War, when the country had a rag-tag military, I might add). But my intention here is not to analyze why the 2nd Amendment was written. My intention is to show that it does mention violence, and to give voice to my hope that ANY educator, parent, guardian, or persons in a responsible, leadership position, would discourage gun 'violence.' Do you--or these other parents who are complaining, condone violence? If so, it is not the teacher who needs to be removed.

OUTRAGEOUS! Imagine a lefty teacher wanting students to protect themselves against gun violence. How unamerican! That teacher must have been a communist. What's needed is a proper balance of protecting children on the one hand and exposing them to sudden death on the other. There are two sides to every debate, as other answers to your question make clear.

GO TO the next PTA MEETING. Connect with other parents who also think POLITICS should be kept out of the class room, Pull your kids out and TAKE TURN HOMESCHOOLING THEM..

You should go smack the sh!t out of him.

• J. c

Should do more than that.

• Nick

Gun violence is a problem in this country. Everyone is free to interpret it however they want, but automatic weapons have no place on the street.

• Chucky2 months agoReport

Teachers can believe as you do NICK but they do NOT have the right to push their views onto impressionable young children.

She has the freedom of speech, she only ' encouraged' them to be against gun violence she never 'forced' them.

A "Social Studies" class is probably one of the few areas of primary education which one might expect to hear about various political views, the question is really whether the issue was represented as something to be considered academically or just being presented from the teacher's political viewpoint (I'm guessing the latter from the sound of the question.)

I would say that if the intent of the teacher is to convince students to adopt the teachers view on the topic without viewing the contrasting opinions, especially if it is somehow being made into a scholastic requirement, it is out of place in the curriculum and should be brought to the attention of the administration that the goal of education as perscribed by an approved curriculum is being sidelined in lieu of a teachers personal political agenda. 

That being said, it is quite often an uphill battle, as many may hold the same beliefs as the teacher, and will be otherwise biased in their assessment of the teacher performance. Your best bet is still to make sure and provide your children with enough  information at home to help balance one-sided politicized education, and let them make up their own minds based on facts rather than opinions.

Good Luck

You should be able to talk to your child & explain your point of view vs. the teacher's. You're child can't be forced to protest anything..This could be a very good thing & you're child might learn how to think for herself.

If you've already contacted the school board, and they haven't done anything, then all you can do is send your child to a PRIVATE or CHARTER SCHOOL.

Liberals/progressives have a stranglehold over public schools these days. It's sad, really.

• abdul

Probably more for keeping other people's politics out of the classroom.