Is it acceptable to make an employee pay out of pocket for work equipment?

My fiancee just got a job after being laid off. We looked the company up on Glassdoor and they seem to be a legit medium sized Technology company.

They are now asking her to pay almost $1,000 to have her company computer and phone shipped to our home because she is working remote. Even though they say they are going to reimburse her the money at the end of the month, I am completely weirded out by this request.

(Side Note: The executive that hired her conducted the interview on Google Hangouts and has only communicated for weeks through texting from Hangouts. She has never had a phone conversation or face to face with the guy. He does have legit profiles on LinkedIn etc etc)

Best Answer

Are you sure the person who interviewed her is really an employee of the company?

I would surmise s/he is not and you are being scammed.

Even if she really interviewed with someone, why would she accept a job that she has never actually met the people before?

Note: a friend was scammed this same way a few years ago. Paid the money, learned he had never spoken with anyone at the company he was supposedly hired at. It was a LARGE brand name company that they were spoofing.

• B

scam, do not send the $1000. look elsewhere.

You could fly across the country, meet them, pick up your laptop in person and fly home for less than $1000

If they're a legit, well established company then they should have no problem fronting the cost of getting a laptop and phone to you to work remotely.

Sounds like a scam to me.

• Judy

In some fields, such as tools for mechanics or knives for chefs, it's common to buy your own.. But this sounds very much like a scam.- it's a common scam. You do know, don't you, that you write your own profile for LINKEDIN so it means nothing, amyone can put anything there.

Sounds bad to me... that's a lot of money up front. Why don't they just pay for it..?

• Eva

Do a more thorough search on Google. List the company name and put "complaints" after it. Sounds a bit sketchy.

That is pretty shady.

There is a scam here...I'd say 99% sure.

It's perfectly normal for companies to supply their own equipment to work-at-home employees for security purposes. They don't want personal computers of employees connecting to company servers, etc.

However, it's odd that they would want her to pay for it.

I'd say some more due diligence is in order. You're right to have your warning bells going off.

Has she received any written documents about the job? Employee handbook? Non-compete agreement? Information on benefits? Written document about this dang computer? Anything?

• Tavy

This has to be a scam. She can use her own computer and phone at home. That's a hell of a price for shipping.

My fiancee just got a job after being laid off. We looked the company up on Glassdoor and they seem to be a legit medium sized Technology company. They are now asking her to pay almost $1,000 to have her company computer and phone shipped to our home because she is working remote.