Hans asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

I have braces & I was advised by my dentist to use hydrogen peroxide to clean my teeth if some areas are not reachable. Is it safe?

I plan to do it if my teeth is not too clean even after brushing my teeth with toothpaste. I would only do it like once or twice a week and not all the time. Will this not harm my teeth and gums in the long run? I haven't done this before.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Biff
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

According to this article https://dentaldorks.com/hydrogen-peroxide-for-teet... if you use hydrogen peroxide intended for oral use as directed (particularly avoiding ingestion) it is a safe and effective way of removing plaque. Note the article suggests diluting the standard 3% solution half-and-half with water for additional safety.

I would advise against diluting higher strength solutions of hydrogen peroxide to 3% or 1.5%. I know from personal experience that they can burn if you get them on the skin.

• 2 months ago

If your dentist advised it, then what's the problem? Your dentist is the person in your life who is educated about oral hygiene.

Google it if you want. I don't know what else to tell you except one thing -- if you don't trust your dentist's advice, find another one.

• 2 months ago

If you’ve been advised to, although peroxide should be diluted with water for oral hygiene. You’re circumstances may be different.

• Byrd
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I don't believe your dentist told you that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.