Hans asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

I have braces & I was advised by my dentist to use hydrogen peroxide to clean my teeth if some areas are not reachable. Is it safe?

I plan to do it if my teeth is not too clean even after brushing my teeth with toothpaste. I would only do it like once or twice a week and not all the time. Will this not harm my teeth and gums in the long run? I haven't done this before.

• Biff
    Favorite Answer

According to this article https://dentaldorks.com/hydrogen-peroxide-for-teet... if you use hydrogen peroxide intended for oral use as directed (particularly avoiding ingestion) it is a safe and effective way of removing plaque. Note the article suggests diluting the standard 3% solution half-and-half with water for additional safety.

I would advise against diluting higher strength solutions of hydrogen peroxide to 3% or 1.5%. I know from personal experience that they can burn if you get them on the skin.

If your dentist advised it, then what's the problem? Your dentist is the person in your life who is educated about oral hygiene.

Google it if you want. I don't know what else to tell you except one thing -- if you don't trust your dentist's advice, find another one.

If you’ve been advised to, although peroxide should be diluted with water for oral hygiene. You’re circumstances may be different.

• Byrd

I don't believe your dentist told you that.