Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

I have to do a book report on The good earth. Is it possible to get a copy written in Klingon?

• Andrew
    Best Answer

To date, the Klingon Dictionary has sold well over a quarter or a million copies, but obviously not all of the buyers can speak Klingon. It's estimated that there are a few thousand people who can speak a bit of Klingon, a few hundred that can read or write a bit, and maybe a few dozen who can actually speak it fluently. 

Considering that there are actually people who are fluent, and are therefore capable of reading and writing in Klingon, it's not beyond the realms of possibility to think that you could hire one of them to produce a translation of the novel, but the real question would be - and this is if you could even get in touch with one to begin with - would it be worth it to pay for someone to actually do it?

Klingon is not like Kazakh or Khmer or Korean. Each of those languages claims millions of speakers. I could walk into any proper translation firm in London or New York and they'd likely be able to put me in touch with somebody who could translate a document from English to any of those languages in the span of 24 hours. And the translator would likely charge me somewhere around (€27.00, $30.00, £25.00) per page. 

But there aren't many people in the world who are capable of translating a document from English to Klingon, or vice-versa, so a person with that particular skills set could charge whatever he or she likes as anybody looking for such a translation service wouldn't have many options, and of course supply and demand is the biggest factor in how prices are set. If I were in the unique position of offering such a service, I really don't think that I would be able to ask for anything less than a minimum of three times the standard rate, so my quote would be (€80.00, $85.00, £75.00) per page. And I ought to remind you that most copies of "The Good Earth" run to about 350 pages on average, so you'd likely be looking at paying somewhere in the neighbourhood of $30,000 (USD) to have the entire book translated. 

It probably doesn't really seem worth it now, does it?

Not to mention that it's extremely doubtful that your teacher would be willing to extend the deadline on your assignment until you can have the book translated, presumably read the translated copy, and then produce a report. 

But you know what? Going ahead with such a hare-brained scheme and shelling out the astronomical sum to pay for the whole thing would likely get you, the translator and your teacher in the news all over the world, so if you've got a bit of extra dosh laying about, you might as well press on. You'll likely make back every last sou doing interviews anyway.  

Troll ...........

Go to google and type in 'books written in Klingon'.

• Marli

You have to do a book report on "The Good Earth", written in English by Pearl S. Buck, and you want to read a translation into Klingon? Why not read it in English? Do you have to write the report in Klingon?

probbly not and even so you need the report written so the instructor can read and grade it.

• Lôn

Klingon is a made-up lnguage....no-one speaks it fluently.

• Lôn

Rubbish...it was a language made up for the Star Trek TV series. Who are the people who speak it fluently...where do they live...is there a newspaper/radio/TV program/ book in that language??...no!

Just write your report in Klingon for bonus points.