Are there any places in Japan where I could live without talking to the locals?

I mean, because I don't speak Japanese, so I want to avoid talking as much as possible.

So, will I be able to do this?

• Quinn
    Best Answer

First, you cannot live in Japan unless you have a job, a permanent resident visa (which requires a job), or citizenship. And you cannot get any of those because what employer in Japan is going to hire a foreigner who does not want to interactive with the locals? What would be the point?

Second, your problem is not that you do not speak Japanese - that is just an excuse. Your problem is that you want something for nothing. You don't speak Japanese, but you do not want to learn. You want to live in Japan, but you don't want to be with the Japanese in their country. Again, what is the point of even living in Japan?

Maybe in US military bases.

There are no places where you would be able to live without seeing the locals. However, you don't need to speak Japanese to live here. It helps but isn't absolutely necessary. I have been here for 10 years and still don't speak any Japanese. I work in aviation so don't need it at work. On off time I don't really need it either as most people have some English skills. They are usually embarrassed to use them but if you complement them on their English they will open up a little bit.

Why would you want to move to a place if you don't want to interact with the locals??? I lived in Japan for 3 years knowing almost no Japanese when I arrived and only a moderate amount when I left. Those were the best years of my life (so far).

...no.

Why would you want to live in Japan to avoid talking to the Japanese?

• Lexagtana2 months agoReport

I want to enjoy the country's beauty and all that it has to offer, but I don't understand Japanese. That's why.

Roppongi would be fine, but a Roppongi flat would cost at least 15 man a month, I think. I doubt many of the foreigners employed in Roppongi bars actually live in Roppongi. If you lived in Niseko village you would have to learn how to speak 'strayian, which many say is more difficult to learn than Japanese.

I don't know that it is necessarily not politically incorrect or whatever for expats to learn the local language. A friend of mine spent decades in Saudi Arabia and he can't handle more than courtesies in Arabic. I don't think he hates Arabs/Saudis at all. It's just that he went to Saudi to get a job done and that job did not require Arabic.

That being said, you will enjoy life in Japan much more if you at least try to learn the language. This is true in large degree because even very well educated Japanese often struggle with English. In Saudi Arabia, educated people manage just fine with English. That's just how it is.

• John

They would rather you didn't.

• Bob

Why would you want to go and live in another country but not want to interact with the people of that country? Why would the people of that country want you to live there?

Why don't you try learning some Japanese before you go? If you go to Japan to live but speak no Japanese, your experience of Japan will be limited. Life will be difficult.

Choosing to live where you don't have to talk to Japanese people is a ridiculous  solution to your problem. The correct answer is that you should learn to speak at least some of the language of a country you emigrate to.

I do not think coming to Japan is the right idea for you. I do not think that moving to any country where English is not spoken is the right idea for you.

• Robin

just talk to youngsters as they all speak english

• .

No. It's impossible. But a remote area of Hokkaido might be your best bet.