Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 2 months ago

u r on a boat that is crossing the prime meridian. The altitude of Polaris is 50 degrees. Explain how you know the boats location is 50 N, 0?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Because you just told us that the elevation is 50° North (equator-Polaris) and that we are on the "prime meridian" (0° east-west).

So that's our location: 50 degrees North¹ of zero (the equator) up-and-down-wise (North/South), and at zero (the meridian), right-left wise (East/West).

¹ Because you said Polaris - not the Southern Cross etc. So: Northern hemisphere (not southern).

-|--)

• 2 months ago

In the northern hemisphere, to find your latitude all you have to do is measure the angle between Polaris (the North Star) and the horizon due north from where you are. For example, at Earth's north pole, Polaris is directly overhead, which is 90 degrees above the horizon. At the equator, Polaris is on the horizon, which is 0 degrees. This is your latitude.

BTW, those coordinates would put you In the English Channel, about 20 nautical miles northwest of Fecamp, France.

Attachment image
  • 2 months ago

I look at the GPS on the radar.

• CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sure I can, my GPS would tell me.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lôn
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

YOU...not U....come on!!

• Lôn
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Ah....I'll let you off then!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.