What should I use to protect my colored pencil drawing?

I made a bookmark as a gift and I’m wondering if I should use some sort of protection over the colored pencil artwork? I just don’t want the drawing to fade over time or potentially rub color off onto the pages of the books. Clear paint? Hairspray? Any ideas, tips, or tricks are immensely appreciated

How about laminating it? Any copy place can do that for you.

• LP7

Use clear contact which will give it a firmer hold/protection and still see your drawing

• Tim D

A bookmark takes a lot of damage from being slid into and out of books, a card or paper one is going to be damaged. You could spray it with fixative (or hairspray), that would only protect the drawing, to protect the paper you would need to laminate it with a plastic sleeve.

Believe it or not, spray the drawing with canned hairspray. It's a rather old trick that's still practiced by many artists today. Just give it a coat, let it sit to dry, and the spray will protect it from smudging.

That is a good question answered so to have easy access to answers to the question too.