leah asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 2 months ago

Can a 17 year old cross the candidate border to the usa alone without a parent?

Without a parent or a note of parental consent? I’m just a little confused because I have seen I will be perfectly fine crossing alone without a consent letter (as I don’t live with my mom atm and my dad is in Nova Scotia.) I have my Canadian passport and my flight is very soon. If anyone could reassure me of this process I’d really appreciate it! Its my first time out of the country


Yes I have a valid Canadian passport 😁

Update 2:

And also Canadian border not candidate 😂

5 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    I'm thinking no. 30 years ago maybe, but definitely not these days. They're pretty serious about that stuff.

    I know, you don't have to say it, 17 is really dang close to 18. And yes we know, there are plenty of people who are legally adults who are less mature than you probably are. But laws are very technical things, and you're technically not 18. That means, according to the law, you're still a child. They aren't just aware of the technical laws at any US border crossing, they're downright glued to them. And they're not going to let you in without a signed consent letter.

    Believe it or not, this law is there for your protection. Ever see that Taken movie, the first one? Well, that actually happens. It's not always as dramatic and explosion-y as portrayed in the film, probably because not every girl's dad is a retired CIA Rambo-ninja, but it really does happen.

  • 2 months ago

    Sorry- countries have agreements about teen runaways and kidnap victims. You need that notarized letter. You may or may not be asked for it. But if you're asked for it and you don't have it, they won't let you board. My guess is that you might get out of Canada- I know the age of majority is lower in the UK than in the US, but I don't know about Canada, but you'd be stopped by US immigration.

  • 2 months ago

    No. You need the parent or the consent letter. And the letter has to be from both parents, preferably notarized.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Never heard of the candidate border, but thanks for asking!

    • leah2 months agoReport

      Look at my recent update ******* :)

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jay
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

    Of course you­­­­­­­­­­­ can. Anyone can. Did you mean legally?­­­­­­­­­­

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.