Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 2 months ago

Does having a lot more NEVER USED browser bookmarks mean that my browser is somehow using more RAM the instant I launch it? How do you know?

This is NOT asking about the additional RAM used by having many browser TABS open. If all other things are equal, and I have 10 menu categories of bookmarked links, with 5 bookmarks in each category, and you have 10 menu categories with 20 bookmarked links in each, and we both launch our browsers at the same time, without surfing, and without opening more tabs, are you using more RAM at that point just because you have the OPTION of going to more sites using bookmarks?

Im not talking about the relatively tiny amount of disk space taken up by the NAMES of bookmarks. Arent bookmarks just pointers made up of URLs? Do they somehow ALL get loaded into RAM just because you launched your browser, or do they just sit on disk until you choose to activate one and go to a web site? I'm asking this to see if deleting all my bookmarks I dont really need, which would take days, would speed up my computer, even if I never use them now anyway. I have plenty of free disk space

• YKhan

No, absolutely no additional RAM is used. Bookmarks are stored on the disk or SSD, until you access them. They then load into a new tab, which will take up additional RAM, but until you've opened up the saved bookmark, they use no RAM.

About the only problem with having too many bookmarks is that it makes it more difficult for you to search for it yourself.

No, bookmarks are just stored somewhere in the browser in the computer, and they would not be running in the back ground wasting RAM.

• Fred

I have a couple of hundred bookmarks and I have no problem with my browser. What has a major effect is the browser add-ons or extensions that you have installed.

How the hell do you even know about RAM but then think bookmarks occupy it LMAO