Working in warehouse?

When going to an interview for processing parcels in a warehouse, is it all right to ask if the area where I'll work is kept at a certain temperature? I wouldn't like to work in a place which I think will be cold.

• Joe

There's a hundred guys interviewing for that job who aren't ask any questions. Don't be a baby.

Yes, most warehouses are cold, if you don't like it you can work somewhere else, or put on warm clothes. However, I would rather it be cold than HOT. Nothing about heat you can do except turn on the air conditioning, I worked at warehouse once that didn't have it, and I was sweating waterfalls and had to leave because of it.

Seek employment in places that don't get cold.

That or come to a realization that work usually means really working and suck it up.

If you are cold, you ain't working hard enough. You can always put on a jacket., sweater, mucklucks, earmuffs, touque,. I used to work in a warehouse unloading the 50 foot long trailers by hand in January when it was 30 below outside, and sweat was pouring off my forehead as I got the stuff out for the 10 pricers and 3 guys who unloaded the rollers. I was in hyper mode. Did not have time to feel the cold. I considered it like paying for a workout at a gym, except they were paying me a wage.

No it's not. Buy a sweater!

Hi. Been working in warehouses of all types both as a Contractor doing work on the warehouse, & a supporting worker for the warehouses.

The odds are that if it's a "Warehouse associate" job like a Home Depot that if it's overnights the heat / AC will be on for only a limited time & the rest of the time depends on how close You are to exterior doors that open & close a lot.

If You're talking about just a warehouse building, it all depends on the size of the warehouse & what they keep in it. Some products need specific temperatures to be maintained for the product to survive.

The odds are that You'll be assigned a locker where You can keep a thin sweater if You can't just keep 1 in Your bag in a car, I personally keep a medium-weight fleece hoodie at My supermarket job for working in the frozen & dairy departments but don't need it often.

Simplest thing to do is plan ahead - if You have a car You should already be carrying an overnight bag of survival supplies for most problems that can arise. Including a roll of toilet paper, a quick change of pants / shirt / underwear, any meds You might need suddenly, some bottled water & a snack.

This shows that You're a planner & don't need them to provide a perfect environment bubble for You to wear there.

G'Luck!!!

• Dick

Just ask about the environment you'll be working in. You can always pose the question about temperature during that conversation.

i think you would be more suited to being an art gallery attendant.

Yes, you can ask, but be prepared to not be hired by this question. What the employer will see is an employee that is more concerned with their own comfort than the job. What you might do instead, is ask to tour the working area and see what the temp is without having to ask.

Not going to help at all. Most warehouses will be cold.