Spyro asked in SportsWrestling · 2 months ago

Johnny Gargano or AJ Styles: Who is better?

Who has a better, more well rounded skillset of grappling, striking, and aerial manuvers?

Who can have a better quality match with a green to average wrestler?

Who can have a better quality match with a good to great wrestler?

Who tells a better story in the ring and has better psychology with their acting, believability, working the crowd, purpose, and their overall selling?

Who can play/work a better baby-face?

Who has better charisma?

Who is the better athlete?

Who is more versatile at wrestling different opponents of different styles and working well with them?

Who is more self-assured, and at knowing who they are more?

Who has a better theme song?

• Candle
    Best Answer

1. I'd argue AJ's more well rounded than Gargano. He at least has a high flying advantage over Johnny Wrestling. I'd also say AJ has an underrated power game in him that Gargano can't or hasn't accessed yet.

2. Id almostl say tie with an edge to AJ, but both guys have sort of avoided circumstances where they'd have to go against inferior grapplers in their careers. If anyone has an edge, I'd say I can remember AJ pulling good matches out of Corbin and Mahal, whereas Gargano's been getting the indie darling treatment since the indies, facing only people that are more or as talented than he is. I'll give it to AJ for making a Mahal match watchable.

3. Gargano might get the edge on this one for me simply because as of yet I haven't seen him falter in the WWE against anyone, whereas AJ has had his challenges with pulling a good match out of equally good, but different, competitor Kevin Owens. He's also only had one really good match with Shinsuke in WWE and it was on a Smackdown. I think that has more to do with the difference between expectation of what New Japan wants and what WWE wants, and may even have more to do with Shinsuke's motivation and booking as a whole, but AJ's faced two great competitors who are on his level and delivered less than expected with both on multiple occasions. Gargano's had great matches with Ciampa, Almas, Cole, Revival, and so many others in the WWE. He had some green early days on the indies where he was overrated for a bit, but he eventually filled out his boots. I tentatively say Gargano simply because of what I stated before: He hasn't been put in the position to fail on the main roster yet.

4. I'd say AJ, but Gargano's not far behind. As flashy as both guys are, I'd argue they've gotten over in part to their white meat babyface selling. AJ's on a different level though. He's legitimately taken bumps intentionally that I've thought were mistakes that put him on the shelf.

5. Again, I'd say AJ. Booking kind of muddled Gargano's babyface status in NXT for awhile, and he's all but completely rebounded with that Full Sail crowd, but I can't think of a time where AJ wasn't unanimously cheered when he wanted to be cheered and booed when he wanted to be booed.

6, I'd argue they're on similar levels with mic work. They both come off like common men with very little flash or personality embellishment. They talk and I believe that it's them talking and not some souped up version of their personalities. Honestly it might be harder to be that genuine than to be a huge personality like the Rock or Ric Flair, but there's also something to be said in making people believe in something larger than life, so maybe it's a little less hard than keeping up a facade. But yeah, I'll say tie.

7. It's splitting hairs, but I'll say AJ. Both guys have a motor on them, and Gargano's a little more cut than AJ, but Styles has power and ups that I don't think Gargano possesses.

8. I'm going to say AJ. He's had great matches against guys his size and great matches against powerhouse talents like Abyss in TNA. He can work high fliers like Sonjay Dutt and Ricochet just as well as he can work a grounded technician like Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle. He's been in some of Cena's best matches, which means he can wrestle a powerhouse showman as well. He's also proven to be a masterful tag competitor. Gargano's sort of unproven to me as a true jack of all trades. I think he could pull a good match out of most, but I want to see him tested outside of that indie/NXT bubble.

9. I think they're both equally as self-assured. It goes back to their characters coming off as being genuine to their own personalities. They both seem comfortable in the ring, and they both rarely miss a step.

10. I'd argue AJ has consistently had great entrance music throughout his career, with a small exception for early days of TNA where he came out to the overused and ill fitting "Born In The USA" stock song. Gargano's theme is more contemporary and even his NXT theme is sort of a carry over to a theme he used on the indies. He also had a stock "Blue Monday" by Orgy theme as a part of FIST in Chikara that I always dug. I'll say AJ by a hair.

• Candle

No problem man. Nico's put up a good answer as well and I hope you get more.

• Moya

Aj styles

Cause he had a longer career

AJ Styles is the best wrestler.

I'll work on this.

Who has a better, more well rounded skillset of grappling, striking, and aerial manuvers? - AJ Styles - Styles has a huge arsenal of exciting moves that will leave you amazed. His grappling is good and he is exceptional at chain wrestling. His striking is great and powerful enough to faze even the most powerful wrestlers in WWE. A particular example of his striking moves is the Phenomenal Blitz. It's a fast attack that's hard to counter, very effective. His aerial manuvers are amazing. He can hit you while you're outside from inside the ring, he can hit you with a tornado DDT, he can hit you while you're seated up and he can hit you with a 450 splash. He is a better high flyer than Johnny Gargano but Gargano is still a superb high flyer in his own right.

Who can have a better quality match with a green to average wrestler? - AJ Styles - This is significantly close but Styles. Styles has a ridiculous work ethic and he is one of the hardest workers in WWE. I don't think Styles would be happy to know that one of his well worked matches with average to less average wrestlers. Styles has worked so hard to make a decent match with the least talented wrestlers. He gave Mahal what is likely to be his best match and gave Shane one of his best matches. Let's just say Styles is better at giving less talented wrestlers their best matches.

Who can have a better quality match with a good to great wrestler? - Johnny Gargano - I think AJ Styles is the best wrestler in the main roster but Gargano is more consistent in working out those incredible matches. Gargano's has had more than one of his matches rated five star by Meltzer and not to mention those many matches that are bordering on five star(Four and a half star to be precise). Styles could have produced a five star match with Nakamura in WWE but he didn't and Styles could have produced a five star match with Bryan but he didn't. Gargano had a five star match with Andrade and Cole. AJ Styles still has had multiple four and a half star matches particularly with Cena. I'll say that Styles is better at producing good matches with less talented wrestlers and Gargano is better at producing incredible matches with awesome wrestlers. Gargano has that potential to exceed Styles.

Who tells a better story in the ring and has better psychology with their acting, believability, working the crowd, purpose, and their overall selling? - AJ Styles - He has great psychology and is one of the best sellers in WWE. He is great at just making his opponents attacks look massively painful. I think in terms of selling moves, only few are better sellers such as Bryan and Ziggler. He is also a great storyteller. In terms of working the crowd, it's a close one. Styles can work the crowd very well and so can Gargano however they are in different brands. I'll say Gargano because he is in NXT and they tend to be more vocal and reactive than the main roster crowd in regular Raw or Smackdown matches. Overall, Styles is better here.

Who can play/work a better baby-face? - Johnny Gargano - Gargano is a decent face who's wrestling is so incredible that you can just cheer for him. Gargano isn't very different from wrestlers like Cedric Alexander and Ricochet in terms of being a face and same can be the said for Styles. Johnny Gargano has that chant "Johnny Wrestling" and it does mean something. Then again, being a face that stands out is pretty uncommon I think. Gargano can stand out because, well, he seems to wrestle incredible matches so that the fans can enjoy his matches. Johnny Gargano's gimmick is making those incredible matches. Styles could have had the same gimmick and I think he is a phenomenal wrestler but he didn't have that "Phenomenal Wrestling" gimmick. I'm sure you understand.

Who has better charisma? - AJ Styles - Styles has more charisma. His heel work has been fantastic and his mic work is good. Gargano's wrestling speaks for him.

Who is the better athlete? - AJ Styles - Styles but it's another close one. If Styles wasn't a better high flyer then I would say that they are more or less equal.

Who is more versatile at wrestling different opponents of different styles and working well with them? - AJ Styles - He has been in the ring with plenty of opponents. He has fought wrestlers from NJPW(Nakamura), ROH(Owens) and from NXT(Bryan). He has been in the ring with big men like Corbin and Lesnar. He's been in the ring with high flyers like Ricochet and Alexander. He's been in the ring with less adequate wrestlers like Shane.

Who is more self-assured, and at knowing who they are more? - AJ Styles - He knows himself more than anyone in WWE and he is confident in himself to be a phenomenal wrestler.

Who has a better theme song? - AJ Styles - It's a catchy and cool hip hop theme that you can sing or rap along. Gargano theme song is more or less just a generic rock theme song. AJ Styles theme song can make others know who he really is. Gargano's theme is still pretty decent though.

• Spyro2 months agoReport

Thanks Nico Robin. I appreciate you just as much, and that is why I wanted to see if you wanted to answer. Even if you didn't you are still an awesome user. I especially agree that it's uncommon to be a great babyface, especially since it's not as natural, or has the range like a heel.

aj styles is he was around alot longer

........................................