Robert asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

Fair Complaint About Bike Service?

My girlfriend got her bike serviced- the gears were not as smooth as they should have been. Now she got it back, it was worse than ever! Plus it cost £150. He did change quite a few things. But the chain is locking and falling off, quite frequently.

I went in and complained and asked for £50 off. Totally refused. Am I out of order?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Jon
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

£150 is a lot for a service. I have full twice-yearly services, done at a shop noted for quality more than economy, for a bike which does a lot of London commuting, and have never had a bill that high.

At that price you would expect to collect a bike in full working order, unless there are relevant factors which you have not mentioned. Getting the work re-done properly would be better than a discount.

One possibility that occurs to me is that the shop might have worked on the basis of a fixed price for a checklist of items, and anything not on the list was not done (even if obviously useful). In that case they might have done something which had the effect described, such as replaced a part which was on the job checklist but not changed another part interacting with that (which was not on the checklist) creating a situation where a badly worn part is now interacting with a new one so the two do not fit together smoothly (e.g. a new chain running on badly worn cogs). If that is the problem than you will have trouble getting a refund or remedial work, as they will argue, correctly, that they did exactly the work which you commissioned.

I would always use a shop where they accept that the job is to make the bike work properly, rather than do A, B and C because they are on the list and not D as, although obviously needed, it is not.

• David
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

The general flow of things like that is like this:

1) you want the bike to work properly.

2) you agree to a contract with someone - on way or another - that (s)he will make the bike work properly for you.

3) this someone will charge you for your services. Hopefully you discussed the price beforehand.

4) then, if you're not happy with the results, it kicks back to what is expected to be your first priority - getting the bike to work properly. From there you go to #2, giving the guy who agreed to do the job to fulfil HIS part of the deal.

What you're trying to do - paying less for ANOTHER task( you didn't ask him to do a half-a$$ed job) wasn't part of the original deal.

So what you should do is:

1) bring the bike back, ask the shop to Make It Right. At no extra cost.

2) if it turns out that they can't, THEN you start to discuss money back.

Where you go from there, it depends.

One option is to ask them to take all the new parts off, put your old parts back on, and ask for ALL your money back.

Another is to agree that the bike probably needed the new parts anyhow, you pay for that but NO labor.

Parts like chains and cables are sized to the bike, and the shop might object to taking them back on that account.

Don't really know what your rights as a consumer are in that situation. It might be a tolerable way out of the situation to accept paying for the consumables - assuming they really needed to be replaced, but nothing else.

I'd only think about a partial refund if:

- the job took a lot longer than expected

- there was some damage to the bike - pain scratches etc - from doing the job

- they couldn't get the job done in the manner that was agreed

• pmt853
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

At £150 it seems likely this was a truly major service, about 3 times more than I've ever paid on a hardtail that I really hadn't looked after properly for a couple of years. You need to tell us more about the bike, why it needed such expensive work doing, how you approached asking for a refund, why you didn't ask them to fix the problems and what sort of shop did the work.

• 2 months ago

Did you physically take the bike back with you?  Or just storm in the door & demand a £50 refund?  Did you ask ahead of time if the shop guarantees their work?  I don't know of a single bike shop in my area (and there are many) that wouldn't GLADLY look at the bike again & correct any problems for FREE!  They stand behind their work.  The way it sounds...you didn't even give them a chance.  

As others have pointed out, is this a really OLD bike that's maybe seen better days anyway?  Is it a discount store bike - which uses inferior components to start with?  They quickly get out-of-tune.  You provided NO DETAILS as to the year, make & model of the bike.  Fixing a quality bike that's maybe 5 to 10 years old is a good idea.  Spending £150 on a really old bike or a cheap discount store bike is a B-A-D idea.   

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Yes, you’re out of order. A real man would fix his girls bike by himself

• 2 months ago

All the regular contributors in the Cycling section advise you to search for a reputable bicycle shop as well as getting a bike from a bicycle shop.

You really didn't give much information about the bike. If this is a department store bike then the old chiche applies don't expect great chicken soup to be made from chicken $}{¡+.

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.
    • Land Rider Jerry
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

In the motorized bicycle world a thick tubed heavy frame is a good thing. Good builders get rid of the crappie components and replace them with aftermarket parts specifically designed for motorized bicycles.

• 2 months ago

Is it a cheap bike? If so then they probably shouldn't have charged that much to fix on it and should have just told you up front it would be better to get a new bike. However, going back to complain about a cheap bike breaking is a common annoyance in a bike shop. If it's not a cheap bike then yeah go tell them they need to f*ckin fix it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.