if song is in key of d what is the starting note?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

any note of the D scale

• 2 months ago

Other people have already given you good answers. I taught Music theory for almost 30 years, as well as solfege and sight-singing to all my Voice class students, and choral members. You question, if it were to a literature teacher would be "I know the letters of the alphabet - so how can I tell what letter starts every one of Shakespeare's sonnets?" Now, if you are taking a solfege class (sight-singing for *singers*), you would be taught how to train your ear to translate from notation into singing the correct pitch - and would hear it in your HEAD first. And you would start with things that always being and end on the *tonic* - the note that is Do - and each study example would begin and end on Do. But that is not the reality of music - it can start and end anywhere - after having often gone some really odd places along the way. And it could be in a major key, a minor key - or have lots of alterations (called *accidentals* which makes no sense - they are all planned . . ). Style of music, year it was composed - none of that matters. It's gonna be what it is gonna be - and it is your job to learn how to determine that -so a good teacher will help.

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Yes! Mainly church related thing, in the South. Used to teach interval part singing method. Related to things like Guidonian Hand ( my avatar). Also related to Kodaly hand signals and many other group singing guides. Taught Kodaly in Voice class. But shape-note of course is printed. 2 threads

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The starting note of what? The scale of D major starts on D and continues E F# G A B C# D.

If you mean the starting note of the song then that's impossible to say without knowing the song.

• 2 months ago

You would benefit from instruction in music theory.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Literally anything. It is *more likely* to be D, A, F# or G, but it could be F or even D# (although it is unlikely)

• 2 months ago

It can be any note. "Usually" if a song starts in G, it's in the key of G. Or E, F, C, etc. But there are some exceptions to the rule.

• Brian
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Whatever the composer wants it to be.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.