Discipline meeting - What to expect?

I recently had an issue at work where some errors resulted in a target being missed. I attended a meeting with my manager and two ladies from HR department. The outcome from that meeting was the two ladies from HR came to the decision that due to the extent of carelessness on my part, severe disciplinary action is warranted.

My manager has informed me that she is calling another meeting with the HR ladies, a secretary, and I can also have a representative. She has told me that at the meeting everything will be clarified and then I will be thoroughly disciplined.

I haven't previously been disciplined so what should I expect? I am also just wondering now that as it was HR who took the decided that disciplinary action was warranted, will it be the HR representatives who discipline me or will it be my manager?

You will find out at the meeting. Does your profession have a union? If so have your union representative be at the meeting to defend you. If not, and it may lead to your termination or worse, you might want to discuss this with a good attorney.

either suspension, probation,or termination

That kind of carelessness would not and could not be tolerated in a law firm. You would be fired. I don't know about any other line of work. What do you mean by a target not met? What did it cost the company? Was there an ability to get it done later, without repercussions? Were clients affected? Without knowing more, who can really say?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

< that due to the extent of carelessness on my part, severe disciplinary action is warranted >

Start looking for another job.

• Judy

You might be suspended, might be fired.

• Maxi

HR only advise the manager based on what is found, so breach of contract, proven mistakes/carelessness, evidence from interviews with other staff, HR do not 'disapline' it is not their job, in fact HR should not even be the ones who investigate or advise based on an investigation, they advise on policy, procedure and should remain a neuteral party.

You read your terms and conditions, employee handbook which should tell you action/s possible... generally anything from written warning, probation period to suspension, to dismissal

• Tavy

You must take someone with you in the UK. They are not allowed to speak on your behalf but they they can remember the facts if you go deaf through fright. Write down what you did so you can answer any Qs.

It will usually be your Manager who does the talking, they employ HR.

A disipilinary will go on your record, they have not said you will be fired.

Don't argue that won't help.

Good Luck.

The answer you seek is in your employee handbook which spells out your company policies and consequences for breaking them. Give it a read, it is a lot easier than trying to guess or read people's minds.

• David

You'll probably get a verbal warning seeing that no previous errors have been accounted for but have a qualified representative with you at meeting.

If your employer has a disciplinary procedure, check that they are following it. If they do not, check that they are following the Acas Code of Practice.

Make sure the procedure is being followed. If it isn't, you should point this out to your employer. It could mean that any decision they make is unfair.