If I replace all components of a PC tower except for the HDD, will everything be visibly the same on screen once I power it on again?

I m not extremely tech savvy so I m asking to clarify.

Yes and no? first lets change the question, you aren't replacing all other parts, you are moving your HDD to a different computer and booting from it. First off the motherboard has some on board memory that isn't brought over with your hard drive so a lot of internal talk and driver stuff still needs to happen. As an example here i recently replaced ONLY my cpu with a 100% identical model, my motherboard saw the change and still had to initialize, just a few extra button strokes but still. If the new computer in question has different parts then oh yeah will it ever need to sort itself out. The good news is that if the parts are the same the whole process should be quick and automatic more or less. If they are different then 90% or so should be automatic but you may need to sort out a few hickups. As for the desktop itself looking the same? should more or less, if the monitor is changed and it runs at a different size or ratio then you'll some change but nothing big.

Theoretically, yes. I recently upgraded some hardware and had no issues. Sometimes people do have issues, however

If you're LUCKY, the PC will need to reboot a couple times as Windows Automatic driver update works it's magic. After a few reboots your PC will appear normal but you'll still need to go on a seek and destroy mission against old drivers. The screen resolution may not be set correctly until you reinstall the Graphics drivers.

After a few days, Windows will begin to bug you for a new product key........... because the Product key is tied to the motherboard. You will still be able to use the PC, though.

If you're NOT so lucky, the PC will hang while booting or fail to load the OS. Sometimes people who do a simple CPU upgrade end up needed to reinstall Windows because of quirks with the OS. This has never happened to me but I've seen it happen to other people. Upgrading the motherboard seems to add more complexities to this.

The people who are Tech Savvy had to start somewhere.

The only answer I could give is... maybe.

Depending on what parts you use, your PC may or may not have drivers readily available when you turn it back on.

At best, your PC will boot up and nothing will look any different. You might have to wait a minute or two for it to grab new drivers for stuff.

At worst, it won't boot at all, or it may deactivate your OS installation if it detects you changed hardware. This isn't too much an issue if you have the license key usually but you may have to go through the pain of phone activation depending on your OS version.

The main way to have the display visibly different is to change the monitor and the graphics card. More memory will help things happen faster. A different motherboard may be needed if you upgrade everything else.

It depends on what you replace the hardware with. If you're just replacing the parts with the same model, everything should work just fine. But if you're changing an Intel CPU with an AMD CPU and board, then it might not work well depending on the edition of Windows you have.

Is there any particular reason you're wanting to replace all of the components? You don't usually need to do this unless they all fail which is very unusual.

As long as all the replace components are designed to work together and don't require you to install drivers, then your screen settings shouldn't change. Those are stored on the HDD in your profile.

• Henry

I don't know for sure.

You can replace all of the components of your PC tower with the same components but you cannot change the components and expect the operating system to recognize them without installing drivers. If there is a significant difference in hardware the operating system might not even boot.