Rachel asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

Can slightly curved spines cause problems in guppies? And what would happen if I bred a guppy with a slightly curved spine?

So, I'm going to breed guppies. I need to get a couple of females, and possibly a new male, but I already have a male I want to breed some females with, but he has a very slightly curved spine. It's barely noticeable, and for a while I hadn't noticed it. I was just wondering if curved spines could cause health problems for the babies if I bred him. I personally like guppies with bent spines, because I find them cute, but I definitely won't breed them if it could possibly cause them any problems in the future.

He's always had it. I found him really cute at the petstore, so I got him, then realized his spine was curved a bit. It hasn't gone away, or gotten worse at all, it's just there.

• Akeath
    Best Answer

Never, ever voluntarily add a Guppy with genetic issues such as spinal deformities to a breeding colony.

We had a single fish in our Guppy breeding colony with a genetic spine problem.  She didn't even show it herself, it was just in a small portion of her young.  Like you, we thought it wouldn't be that bad and could be endearing, so we let the first batch of hers, some of which had minor spinal issues, stay and breed.  Soon it spread throughout the gene pool and as it did so the spinal issues became incredibly severe compared to what the early forebears had shown, and eventually about 1/3 of any given female's offspring were born dead with spinal issues too severe to live.  The spinal deformity continued to worsen in the colony as a whole, until many of the surviving young (the 2/3 that didn't die from the spinal abnormalities at birth) had such severe spinal deformities that their quality of life was compromised, as well as their total lifespan.  By the time we realized how bad it was for the breeding group as a whole, we couldn't even remove the trait by culling, it was too firmly entrenched in the entire group's genes.

I currently have a cute little blonde African Dwarf Frog with a spinal deformity that makes him hunchbacked.  His name is Quasi.  I'm not breeding him, so it's okay to keep him with those of his kind and give him a fairly quality life.  I target feed him to make sure he gets enough food, and he's active enough despite the scoliosis.  But he's not going to have any surviving offspring.  In my opinion, it is incredibly irresponsible to breed animals that you know have genetic defects. 

• Rachel1 month agoReport

Thank you Akeath. I'll just buy another male :)

I started my guppy colony with just 3 females. look for a dark gravid spot. now have over 150.

It could be an early symptom of fish tuberculosis, how long has this been going on?