Is it ok to call out of work if I ve done so recently?

I work at a nursing home every other weekend as a nursing assistant. The last Saturday I was scheduled, I had to call out due to an illness. I am supposed to work tomorrow but my brother is having surgery to remove his thyroid at the same time I m scheduled. I d really like to be with my family at the hospital during or after that time. Is this an acceptable excuse? Is it selfish to call out? Would they be upset or would it be reason for termination if I have many absences? Any advice on how to go about this would be much appreciated.

• RICK

Its never ok to call out unless you are sick enough to require a Drs visit

My job, no Drs note no more job

• ricky

My mom is in a nursing home. When they are short handed, the residents suffer, and your coworkers suffer. Maybe you have the wrong career.

Unless you are doing the surgery, there is NO need for you to be there. Bottom line.

• Judy

If you've been there 4 years and only called out twice before, it'll probably be ok. But when something is coming up like a planned surgery, you should let them know ahead of time as long as you cam. not just call off. Many absences will get you terminated. Two, probably not.

• Tavy

No, they will be short of staff. The best time to see your brother is the day after when he is awake.

Your brother isn't going to die, so there is NO reason to be there while he is having the operation. Go after work.

I'm betting that this surgery was scheduled, so asking for time off with no notice isn't cool.

• John2 months agoReport

Every surgery has a risk of death especially considering where the thyroid is located, a screw up could result in that.

None of us know your manager, how he treats call outs, what he considers to be a valid excuse, how hard it is find someone to work for you, etc. So we can not answer the question.

I would not call out because there is not really anything I can do help the relative sitting in a waiting room for several hours. Especially if there are lots of others there. And since you call out last shift.

Make your presence known by using your break and/or lunch to call over to the relatives in the waiting room during the surgery.. Assure them you want to know any news. And apologize that you could not get off work. Show your support that way. (Pick someone who likes you to call.)

You knew when you were scheduled...I would not be scheduling you anymore on weekends...or perhaps ever.

This was scheduled in advance, unlike your sickness...if you can find someone to cover your shift AND they aren't in any jeopardy of overtime...shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, I'd have some issues as your manager.

• Eva

It is not an acceptable excuse especially since you called out on the last Saturday you were supposed to work. There's nothing that you're going to contribute by sitting around at the hospital. Go to work.