Anonymous

Will I be discriminated in the business marketing world because I have high functioning ASD?

I’m a 19 female with(I really don’t like saying it) autism. I’m in my second year of college and a marketing major. Yes, I know marketing jobs have a lot of communication and it doesn’t really bother me. I’m taking my first marketing class and I really like it. I just took my first test in it and I got a much higher grade then the class average. What I like about marketing is that it’s basically social science but it’s not about helping people with issues(I could never do a job like that). Will marketing jobs not hire me or fire me if they see I do have autism(although I can be good at hiding it)? Let’s face it, I could never do a STEM job. I know those jobs are recommended for people with autism, but I barely made it through business calculus(I passed but it made my gpa a 2.8)

No they legally can't discriminate

• Jay

It seems like your Autism makes you a better marketer.

But just like other medical conditions...it is not necessary to reveal them to your employer.

Just pass the classes with good grades and be the best that you can be!

(Most people are not 'turned on' by either marketing OR by having to talk to a lot of people every day. You seem like you actually LIKE that. If so, you are like me and you will be successful.)

• Tavy

There is no need to tell them-unless they ask.

As a marketing major in college, I can tell you that not every job has to deal with people. People think marketing is sales. Far from it.

I wouldn't worry about the autism and getting a job. You can bring a different outlook to situations. The number one thing I learned in my marketing classes. Find a need and fill it. If you are a great problem solver, then you can find a job anywhere.

DO!!! go and talk with your teachers and ask them this question. IF you don't get the answer you want, talk with another one.

They wont know and if you can do the job, nobody will care.

• Marnie

You can do anything you want to do! and if they did fire you for having autism that would be illegal and you could sue them

• Greg

Do you have a large "A" on your forehead? How would an employer know? Only if it causes behavior issues would it be considered.