What is a reasonable price for a heater core replacement? I have a 2013 Honda Civic and was quoted $1,882. They said the part was about $800?

Yeah...find someone else...

I am surprised your 13 needs an HC replacement. Mine is an 07 and my friends is an 10 and neither NEED REPLACEMENT. My 81 car did not need HC replacement(HC are basically all the same no matter the make of vehicle)

.. So am thinking you are "bending over too much...it is so inviting to "S" u, and they are doing so in spades.

IMHO

• zipper

You buy Jap junk and expect better pricing, so foolish!

Buy a new heater core from 1-800-RADIATOR to get a great price on a heater core that will fit well.

It's still a 6 to 8 hour job taking the dash apart. Get several quotes from private mechanic shops to put the heater core in. Advance Auto also has heater cores.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

That's ridiculous - did you take it to a dealership maybe?

Heater core should be about $100 - but they might charge you a fortune in labor because a lot of cars require considerable disassembly (if not total removal) of the dash in order to get to the heater core.

It's not rocket surgery - and if you buy the core (assuming it actually needs one), you can probably put it in yourself in a couple of hours with the help of a youtube video (the hardest part of dash disassembly is finding all of the hidden fasteners, etc. - and reassembling it properly so it doesn't vibrate/rattle).

Check some other shops, preferably a radiator shop. They do this job often, and know all the ins and outs involved.

Sounds like the outfit you talked to is trying to buy a new Mercedes using our money as a down pmt.

Are you sure your heater core needs replacing? Is it leaking? That car is still fairly new to need a heater core. Did you go to the dealer or going to an overpriced mechanic. It's labor intensive but $1,000 labor? That' highway robbery! I just had my heater core replaced on my 1999 Camry for $800 for parts and labor.

That's about $1000 in labor. At what most shops charge around here, that's not even 10 hours in labor. Pulling our a heater core can be slow. If they have to remove the dash, that's usually an exensive job because of the labor. My GF had an A/C system leak and it turned out the evaporator coil's orings had failed. So for a 30 cent o-ring, she had an expensive bill.

Try a shop that specialized in radiators, they might be more familar with the job, faster and therefore cheaper. $800 for a core sounds expensive, are they going with OEM?

• .

The parts are cheap (usually about 80 dollars), but the labor is extensive. 1000 dollars is common. But keep in mind that dealers charge more.

I paid $1,100 for mine.