Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStudying Abroad · 4 months ago

Social Security work a abroad question?

I would like to know if I move abroad, I know that some countries have a totalization agreement with the United States. So if I spend 30 or so years working abroad, and decide to retire, can I get US Social Security based on my foreign work record?

3 Answers

  • 4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    Social Security is a federal government program that provides a source of income for you or your legal dependents (spouse, children, or parents) if you qualify for benefits. You also need a Social Security number to get a job.While you work, you pay Social Security taxes. This tax money goes into a trust fund that pays benefits to those who are currently retired, to people with disabilities, and to the surviving spouses and children of workers who have died. Each year you work, you’ll get credits to help you become eligible for benefits when it’s time for you to retire.

    Yes, you can get US Social Security based on foreign work record since this was introduced to lure Immigrants by the US Govt.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 months ago

    Nope; if you don't pay in, they don't pay out (or at least, not more than the very basic amount).

    You'd need to arrange a private pension generally.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 months ago

    That depends! Unlikely you can work that long in one country. The countries where you worked would have to have a govt pension system which has a totalization agreement, and as a foreign worker, temporary worker, you would have to have been eligible to participate and pay into their system. You will need details on dates employed, employer, country, and records of your pension system contributions.

    Alternative: you pay into US Social Security even though you are working abroad.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.