I asked my landlord can I give out a set of downstairs keys to a home attendant and the landlord said no what can I do?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Best Answer

unless you have a disability that prevents you from getting to the door, the LL is within his rights to deny it.

What kind of attendant is this? Like a home health aide?

Even if you have a disability sounds like you are renting a room/portion of a shared house...if that is the case, FHA probably does not apply to you and you don't have federal rights to a disability accommodation.

if this is an owner occupied 4 family or less house, you might not be covered by FHA either.

If you didn't ask, and landlord say aide opening the door with a key, LL would not be happy

• ricky
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Read your lease, that should tell you if it’s not allowed.

• 2 months ago

Nothing you can do. They do not have to allow you to give keys to someone that does not live there & should not have access.

Changing locks when every tenant moves out is common & a good business practice but it is not legally required & not every landlord does it.

• 2 months ago

Nothing. Sorry.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Let me guess, your copy of the outside keys are engraved saying "do not copy", right? Well that isn't a law, just a deterrent. You can make a copy for your attendant yourself.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

You have to respect the property owners wishes and not give anyone keys to the place he doesn't approve of.

That said it's pretty ridiculous the landlord even cares. Common procedure when a tenant moves out is to have the locks changed so any key they or someone they may have given a key to no longer works.

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

sounds like shared housing, key would give access to shared common areas other resident uses.

• LILL
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The landlord is only required to allow a key to their tenant. Your home attendent is not a tenant.

• Judith
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Why did you ask? Just do it. Just be willing to accept responsibility if something goes wrong because of it.

• A C
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Don't you have a way to buzz them in?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.