Should I take a lower-paying to cut my commute time as I have to travel by car an hour each way?

I currently make 54,000 and have a good benefits package my commute is an hour each way and there s no other work other than minimum wage jobs close to where I live This is in a smaller town. I have the opportunity to make 41,000 with bonus and benefits package less than 30 minutes from my house. I know that insurance will be a little bit more expensive because I cover my family I m also thinking about the price of gas that I pay each way and the wear and tear on the cars both are good stable companies both have benefits packages but I often leave the house at 5 or 6 in the morning and get home at 5 or 6 and it s becoming too much. How much different really is the amount if I m paying for gas. Not to mention saving myself 2 hours and 30 minutes a day in traffic and commute.

• Bort
    Best Answer

If there is opportunity to move up where you are I suggest staying there. With the way things are right now economy wise, especially with a family, and I'm a single guy I can't live happy-comfortable with no worries on less than around 62k take home per year (after taxes). Before taxes that's 70+ per year. if 54 is before taxes your take home is around 38 to 42.

Don't risk making a heck of a lot less and putting your entire family and kids in a hole that will be extremely difficult to get out of. Especially if there's opportunity where you are to move up that includes a raise.

14k before taxes is a 20+k hit you're asking for advice on taking after taxes.

No. Do not do that to yourself and your family for 30 minutes less of a commute. That won't balance out to be a better situation.

You are talking about losing $13000 to save an hour per day. Over the year that's about $52 per hour lost

Only you know if this is a sacrifice worth making

Take how many hours a day you work including your commute and divide it into what you make including benefits. Do the same for the new job. What pays more for the number of hours you put in each day taking into consideration gas, etc. Of course, this does not take into account the aggravation of being in a car an hour each way but it will tell you what job pays the most for the time you are spending getting ther and working.

< Not to mention saving myself 2 hours and 30 minutes a day in traffic and commute >

I don't see how an hour each way for your current job and "less than 30 minutes from my house". Let's say it's 30 minutes round trip. That's at the most 1 1/2 hours saving a day, not 2 1/2. You aren't even spending 2 1/2 hours today commuting.

With vacation and holidays, how many days do you go to work? 250? That's maybe 300 hours a year commute time.

$13k is likely about $10k cut after savings. That's a "cost" for saving those 300 hours of $33 for every hour (and that's after tax).

250 working days is about 2000 hours assuming 8 hr/day. At $41k per year, that's about $20/hr.

• JetDoc

Are you SERIOUSLY considering giving up $13,000 per year just to save 30 minutes on a daily commute? You're dumber than you look!

• Anon1 month agoReport

Commuting SUCKS. It is weer on vehicles, which can real ad upon in deprecation of a new on, stress off driving.

• martin

Get creative: break up the commute with a couple rest stops; talk to a friendly manager about comp time and some at-home work, if it's safe to do so; stay overnight once in a while near your workplace.