Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 7 months ago

Are bullies mainly abused victims too?

Last year my cousin (boy) was getting bullied by a girl in his classes. Not just verbally but physically too. Both are 12 year-olds in 7th grade and get along now.

Later on, it was revealed that the girl's stepfather (he's in prison now) had molested her, she had a miscarriage and the mother was a former alcoholic.

Do most bullies act out because they get abused themselves at home? Is that generally the case?

Favorite Answer

YES. They were bullied at home by the very people who were supposed to love them...they mimic what they learn at home. Also, she could be lashing out because she had a sexual trauma she couldn't cope with and when you don't deal with trauma it doesn't magically go away...it comes out in other ways. It is good that she got justice, however, if she doesn't get counseling....her trauma won't magically disappear.

The precursors of Antisocial behaviour are exposure to violence, poverty, runs in the families etc. That can be of any type, media violence, domestic violence etc.

That sounds so reasonable, but oddly, I find I'm not at all sure. I have known, intimately, children who were not at all abused but were inclined to be bullies even as children under 5 years old. And conversely, I have seen badly abused kids who never took on that characteristic. So I remain perplexed by it.

Yes many do.

Also it's low self esteem.

Or hanging with the wrong crowd.

this is a general knowledge fact.