Booking Hotel in Amsterdam questions?

I’m 21 and would like to visit Amsterdam next year in May hopefully. I know in the US in some places you need to be like 25 and have a credit card to book hotels so I was wondering if that is the same in Amsterdam? If not, will I still need a credit card or could I just use my debit card to pay for the stay? Will I need to show my license or passport when I arrive? Is the cost per night high that time of year? Thanks

• August

You shouldn't have a problem if you have a bank account and a card. I certainly would book in advance as it gets very busy from May onwards and the prices are sky high if you just turn up. Try hotels near Dam Square which are relatively easy for the centre and you will be close to the museums. Lots of places to see and do so you should have a good time

(don't bring anything illegal in though)

Source(s): from the UK
  • Huh?

If you're 21 you should be ok to book most places. It's safer to use a credit card as you have a chance of reclaiming your funds if something goes wrong - if you use a debit card, once you make a payment it's gone forever.

They will want to see your passport and may need to take a copy of it.

Hotel charges in Amsterdam are generally quite high - you will have to look at a few booking sites and see what you are willing to pay. FWIW, I suggest you try to get somewhere on or near Warmoesstraat or Zeedijk.

Avoid booking round about 27 April as that is King's Day in the Netherlands, just about the biggest festival all year, and every hotel in Amsterdam will be booked solid and charging a fortune!

http://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/78-kings-day-amsterda...

• TSK

If have a card are good at 18 in Europe....25? USA is an odd place...

It's always better to use a credit card. Also, be careful- even having marijuana smoke in your clothes can set off the drug dogs at the airport. When our students go to study abroad programs, if they come back through Amsterdam, most of the young men are searched when they arrive in the US, on the assumption that they will be trying to smuggle in some weed.

Booking at 21 should be absolutely fine. Most accept either credit or debit (although credit cards give you greater security). You'll generally need to show your passport on check-in.

18 seems to be the minimum age to book a hotel, so for that, you will be fine. You will need to check what method of payment is taken at the hotel you are interested in. You will need to show your passport. They might take a copy of it. Avoid early May as there is a festival up to the first weekend and it gets expensive. As for how much, you will need to research. You will know your budget.