Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationFishing · 2 months ago

How can you hide minnow traps so others don't find them?

People in the PA area constantly have their minnow traps stolen.Not just me but my friends have lost theirs because of that and I wanted to know how to hide it so no one steals it.If you leave it a creek at say 3-4 pm and you don't come back before 12 pm next day its usually gone.I don't know why because the traps are 5-10 dollars at the store but recently I have had my homemade ones stolen.I was at a small lake last Saturday and I pulled next to a small island around the one side because I saw a lot of bait fish so I grabbed my homemade trap that could catch roughly 30-35 minnows with.It was similar to the store bought one but it was twice as long. This was at 9 am or so as I went early that day. I left the trap and boated back to where my truck was.I grabbed my fishing gear and I stopped to eat my hoagie and fries and in that process 2 other people pulled in and someone else also did down down the road and on top of this there were already some boats on the water when I went out earlier.I got the stuff in my boat ready and when out fishing.I threw in a line a few times to see how the fish were biting. After all this I went to my minnow trap and got there at about a quarter after 1 to find it GONE.Do people just come across these traps and take them?I wasn't even gone 6 hours and someone took it.You almost have to walk off of the side of the road and hide it in some bushes or something because people just take them.I can't be the only one experiencing this so whats going on?

• Mike
    Best Answer

Instead of using rope, use fishing reel string so it can't be seen, then hide the trap itself with reeds or something,....just keep it out of sight

USAFisnumber1 will steal a trap in a minute. I would

put up a trail cam and get a photo.

• Kenny

Sounds like you are going to have to spend some time with your minnow traps .

Cover with dirt or tall grass