Juliet asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 2 months ago

How to get over driving fears?

So last year I took segment 1 of drivers ed and recieved my permit in August. All through last year I never had time to drive due to some issues. It eventually grew to be a major fear of driving.

I am currently 16 and it sucks to see people my age be able to drive around places and be able to do things on their own. I want to drive but every time I think of driving I start to shake and cry because it scares me especially since I drove very little throughout the year. I have watched some people take their road test and fail and I would have no idea why which makes me nervous.

I really want to know how to get over my fear of driving. I get judged a lot for not being able to drive and no one cares to listen why. I'm just going to list my reasons

-I haven't driven over a year and I really feel like I forgot everything I learned

-It is really hard for me to focus on my car but also be aware of other cars

-I have very slow reaction time

-I am pretty short and I only have large cars that I am able to use to teach myself and it is hard for me to see

-My parents are pretty aggressive while I am driving and it stresses me out so much that I would cry while driving

-It's so hard for me to think of multiple things happening at once

-I have no clue how other drivers are going to act on the road

These are a few but major reasons why driving scares me. I really want to get over this fear and be able to drive but I would really like to know how to get over my fear.

• car253

It is better and easier to wait until you are 18 years old to get your drivers license.

you shouldn't be fearful when driving so if you are you're not ready yet

Source(s): # the more you know; #real life experience

Practice. Get your mentor to take you to a empty parking lot. Practice turning, backing up, breaking (both slowly and suddenly). Note how your vehicle accelerates, use hand signals for slowing and turns. When you feel comfortable, arrange for you and your mentor to go to the driver's license office and watch a road test in progress. Practice those maneuvers and procedures. Then follow a road test in progress. See the route taken. Re-trace the route a few times with just your mentor. Remember - the examiner should not tell you to do anything illegal or try to trick you.

A couple of secrets to a good trip are to know your vehicle and to know where you're going before you start.

All the best.

Teen Driver Safety Advocate

Former GA driver's license examiner

It is a three step process.

1. Practice.

2. Practice.

3. Practice.

Repeat as needed.

• Edna

You're only 16 and what you have isn't a "permit" - it's a restricted learner's driving license. It "permits" you to drive and practice your driving skills until you're old enough (usually 18) to obtain an unrestricted driver's license. - and from what you said, you certainly need a LOT of practice.

You're not going to "see people my age be able to drive around places and be able to do things on their own" - because they're not legally allowed to do so. 16 year old's with a learner's license (or "permit"). can't just "drive around places" and "do things on their own". They must be accompanied by an adult, fully licensed driver in the passenger seat next to them at all times; they can usually carry no more than 2 other passengers; and they might not be allowed to drive at night. If they're caught violating any of those restrictions, their learner's license can be suspended or revoked.

I’m 20 and have been working on getting my drivers license since I was 19 so don’t worry you’re not behind as you think you are. Some people don’t get their license until they’re 18 too I’ve noticed so it’s never too late. When I first started I was nervous but that’s okay because it shows that you want to be a safe driver. I was nervous when I first started like I would get in the drivers seat and get chills but once I started actually driving and thinking/telling myself that I can do it it all went away. You just have to put yourself out there and practice. Don’t rush things and explain to your parents that. If you don’t feel that you are ready or comfortable enough to get on the road maybe wait a little until you build confidence that’s kind of what I did, but if you really want to get your drivers license just take a deep breath and go for it. Start in a school parking lot or somewhere like that to get the feel of things and then work your way up. Start small, build confidence.

• Dimo

Where in the world are you? In California you can get a motorcycle permit just by passing a written test. Get a 125cc twist-n-go scooter and you can get experience without your parents along. A scoot is really small, no blind sides, no blind spots, gets to park near anywhere, slips past stopped cars to the line at a red light.

• Dimo

Bugger. You can get a 30 mph "moped".... (FYI -- l left Detroit in 1965 to go to Los Angeles.)

Have a drink, calms your nerves and weld a TV to the bonnet too so you can watch some relaxing soap operas while driving.

It would be nice if you could get help from an instructor who uses a machine for simulations.

Of course, you can see a therapist about this, but many people prefer self-help for phobias. The reason is that a therapist's time is costly, and so the program is likely to proceed at a rate that's faster than what the client is comfortable with.

Basically, therapy for phobias, explained in The Feeling Good Handbook by psychiatrist David Burns, is making a list of situations, ranking them according to how scary you find them, and using that ranked list as your objectives. Imagining a situation can be an objective. Start with something really, really easy.

The thing to remember is never go from objective A to objective B until you feel completely confident with A. Things that give you confidence are experience and slow breathing. There's enormous laboratory and clinical evidence that slow breathing is effective for calming people down quickly.

Two psychiatrists, Brown and Gerbarg, say a 10 or 20 min slow breathing exercise - 5 breaths a min - is good and 20 min twice a day is a therapy for anxiety. The exercise is inhale and exhale gently, 6 seconds each.

The basic rules of safe driving are pretty easy. Stay as far from other cars as possible. Be extra careful at intersections and changing lanes. Avoid night driving till you really feel confident.

Try to borrow a smaller car from a friend or relative. I had to do so, because fam only owned large tank like vehicles.