Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Petra asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 years ago

Should I let my toddler (almost 3 years old) pet my mouse? Can a mouse suddenly bite?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If the mouse is used being handled and it's used to it I don't see a problem biting that way. I would not let an almost 3 year old hold, pet and carry a mouse anywhere. Over the years I have seen countess children ages 3 to 5 get so excited that they squeeze to death their little friends accidentially. Their reasons for holding them to death varied from 'I'm afraid he would bite me so I held him extra tight.' 'I love him so much I didn't want him jumping and running away from my hands'. I think I petted him too hard....'

Anything smaller than a guinea pig is at risk from being squeezed, crushed or broken because of the other pocket pets fragile size. If the mouse jumps or dropped upon cement or wood floor it dies from internal injuries.

Your best bet is to hold mouse and let the toddler try and pet it gently. Toddlers coordination isn't that heat until they are Oder, it's not that they don't try, it's a matter of experience, coordination of muscles and mind and concentration.

Good luck, be careful.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

I would be worried about the mouse. some kids are not gentle enough.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Great question!

• 2 years ago

Yes a mouse can suddenly bite with no history of biting, the toddler could also accidently hurt or worse kill the mouse, and it's a health risk to the child unless you make sure they do not stick their hands in their mouth before washing them after holding the mouse

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

You should know whether your mouse bites or not.

I would also want to know whether your toddler knows how to "pet" without squeezing.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Health issue, if the child put his/her fingers in their mouth.

• Sparky
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

If the mouse is used to being handled, they will rarely bite.

Be careful that your toddler does not squeeze, pinch, throw etc the mouse. It only takes split second for a small animal to be tragically injured or killed.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

I'd be more worried about the toddler hurting or killing the mouse. It would be safer to keep them separate.

Lv 7
    2 years ago

Do the old grab-the-hand-and-guide method. Take your toddler's hand and show him/her how to gently pet. If you want, offer your mouse a snack in your hand so it's tame and its mind is on something else.

And yes, if a mouse feels threatened or if it's being mishandled, it can nip. Just be present during the whole ordeal and guide your toddler on how to do it the right way.

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Of course not! A three year old can suddenly grab and hurt the mouse!

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

He is your mouse. You would know him better than we would.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.