Petra asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 years ago

Should I let my toddler (almost 3 years old) pet my mouse? Can a mouse suddenly bite?

Favorite Answer

If the mouse is used being handled and it's used to it I don't see a problem biting that way. I would not let an almost 3 year old hold, pet and carry a mouse anywhere. Over the years I have seen countess children ages 3 to 5 get so excited that they squeeze to death their little friends accidentially. Their reasons for holding them to death varied from 'I'm afraid he would bite me so I held him extra tight.' 'I love him so much I didn't want him jumping and running away from my hands'. I think I petted him too hard....'

Anything smaller than a guinea pig is at risk from being squeezed, crushed or broken because of the other pocket pets fragile size. If the mouse jumps or dropped upon cement or wood floor it dies from internal injuries.

Your best bet is to hold mouse and let the toddler try and pet it gently. Toddlers coordination isn't that heat until they are Oder, it's not that they don't try, it's a matter of experience, coordination of muscles and mind and concentration.

Good luck, be careful.

I would be worried about the mouse. some kids are not gentle enough.

Great question!

Yes a mouse can suddenly bite with no history of biting, the toddler could also accidently hurt or worse kill the mouse, and it's a health risk to the child unless you make sure they do not stick their hands in their mouth before washing them after holding the mouse

You should know whether your mouse bites or not.

I would also want to know whether your toddler knows how to "pet" without squeezing.

Health issue, if the child put his/her fingers in their mouth.

• Sparky

If the mouse is used to being handled, they will rarely bite.

Be careful that your toddler does not squeeze, pinch, throw etc the mouse. It only takes split second for a small animal to be tragically injured or killed.

I'd be more worried about the toddler hurting or killing the mouse. It would be safer to keep them separate.

• .

Do the old grab-the-hand-and-guide method. Take your toddler's hand and show him/her how to gently pet. If you want, offer your mouse a snack in your hand so it's tame and its mind is on something else.

And yes, if a mouse feels threatened or if it's being mishandled, it can nip. Just be present during the whole ordeal and guide your toddler on how to do it the right way.

• Lisa A

Of course not! A three year old can suddenly grab and hurt the mouse!

• Rick B

He is your mouse. You would know him better than we would.