For a solo trip, what city would you choose for a cheap trip for 3 days.. Chicago Washington D.C Seattle or what place international?

$1,000

• MS

I'd suggest DC because so many of the things there are free - all of the Smithsonian museums, tours of the Capitol, the National Zoo, etc. You'd just have to pay for your transportation there, meals, and a hotel. There are a few things that do have admissions fees, but the major attractions are free. You can also find more reasonable hotels just over in Virginia, right on the Metro line.

That depends on what time of year and what's going on in each. The first weekend in October every year, I go to Seattle and visit the Salmon Days festival in Issaquah. Washington has a lot to see and do and is easy to get around in. As an international destination, I'd consider Vancouver, but that depends on where you're starting from.

• pmt853

Maybe Prague, Dubrovnik or Ljubjana, they were all very reasonably priced when I last visited but it's usually a better bet to avoid major cities.

Yep, got to be Washington DC

The only cheap option for me would be Seattle, since I could drive there in half a day or fly there in an hour.

• ?

They just got all new metro trains in D.C. You'd be spending a lot of time on the metro. If those other cities have old metro trains that wouldn't be fun for me, sitting on rickety trains and wondering if you will make it alive is torture.

• .

They are all expensive, but DC wins because of the huge amount of totally free places to visit like the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.