I have a 2012 bmw 528xi n I use unleaded plus (89) would it mess with my engine or car if I Go up a gas grade and use 91 premium?

No, that improvement will not harm the engine. You will pay about a dime more for it.

It would not harm the vehicle. You might get slight better performance, but at a cost.

If your motor isn't pinging when going up a hill while accelerating don't waste the money on higher octane gasoline.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

I believe BMW recommends no lower than 89 octane fuel in your car. The truth is, it will run/drive exactly the same under almost all conditions on either 89 octane or 91 octane fuel. If you re not regularly driving the snot out of the car (pedal to the metal all the time), you might as well save your money and buy the cheaper 89 octane fuel because the engine can and will run just fine on it.

At best, you might notice a very, very slight difference (increase) in power output at full throttle if you re using the 91 octane in your particular engine, but don t expect to feel much of a difference AND it s highly unlikely that any fuel economy gain you might see from using 91 in your engine will even begin to offset the additional cost of filling the tank with premium fuel instead of the mid-grade. In fact, the fuel economy may well not change/improve at all.

Premium unleaded is (required) in your BMW 5 series. Your owners manual will tell you if you are required to use 89 or 91 octane. Use only whatever BMW requires.

• Rick

The higher the octane, the bigger the BOOM, BUT the slower also, so any octane change has to come with a timing change ....................

• Robsteriark

Incorrect. High octane and low octane fuels burn at the same speed and produce the same amount of energy. But high octane fuels resist ignition by compression alone so can be used in higher compression ratio engines which turn more of the energy into work which otherwise would be lost as waste heat.

It would not mess with the engine. It would just mess with your wallet. Increasing the octane of the gasoline you choose will do nothing.