Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHome Schooling · 2 months ago

What is your opinion on homeschooling?

• 1 week ago

If the person leading the "homeschool" is an effective educator and the student is actually learning, developing and growing then it is great. 

If it is a ploy so mommy can play school and house but does little to educate her children having a 12 year old who still can't read, then  NO

It's a great concept. But, rarely do I think these kids could meet standard testing yearly. That needs to happen at a credential office yearly. I think with a curriculum buy in for the state you live in and an outline of workbooks, notes, highlights, videos as well as a set time to focus on studing, it could be more effective than traditional line standing, horse play of public school.

I often see and hear Parents claim home school and hardly invest in a book not to mention left alone with tv video as education verses a program or time and education.

• Ann

As one who was a public school educator for almost 40 years, I can truthfully say that the home school curriculum of today is more extensive and teaches more than what has been taught in public schools since the 1980's. In TX, a state test is given to students that solely determines whether those students will pass to the next grade level. A class's scores will determine whether the teacher of that class will be re-hired. Entire schools are rated on the basis of that one test's scores for a year. Teachers do not teach curriculum from textbooks--they spend the entire year drilling their students on how to take that test. At the end of the school year, a great deal of what they "learned" is lost, and in the end, they fall behind. Conversely, home schooled students aren't required to take the state test, and they spend their time learning actual facts. Contrary to popular belief, they aren't confined to their homes, taught only by a parent. They meet weekly with groups of other home schoolers, they have field trips, sports teams, they participate in science fairs, FFA/4-H, and they're encouraged to think for themselves by doing research. The public schools of today are controlled by politicians and unions (i.e. the upcoming teacher strike in Chicago, that will leave thousands of students without schooling for who knows how long). There are good and bad home school programs, but overall it is preferable to what goes on in today's public education.

I think it is a legitimate educational choice. It is best for some students, but not others. I think homeschooled students a ordinary people who represent the same range of academic success, morality and social skills as other students. I know a few dozen homeschooled and formerly homeschooled students. The range fro a medical doctor, lawyer and professor to slackers living with mom and dad and filling their days with blogging, becoming Instagram famous and cosplay. Yes. that’s all anecdotal. But with high rates of refusal, selection bias, lack of demographic controls on large scale studies of homeschooling, it serves its purpose.i don’t oppose it or idolize it. Seems that’s most people’s choice. If they don’t hate it or hold homeschooled students on a pedestal, they’re suspect

• Ludwig

Hilarious. America is falling, we watch in astonishment.

Homeschooling can be a fantastic option for many families. Kids can have their curriculum structured to suit their interests, they can proceed at their own pace (often progressing faster than a classroom that has to pace to the "average" student). They get to live their daily lives in the real world -- going out in the community, volunteering, interacting with children and adults of all ages. (-- As opposed to the artificial 'world' of public school where one only interacts with those within their birth year.)

We homeschooled all our children through to graduation. They are now adults, active in the community. Their interests all varied. Some had academic scholarships to universities. Another chose to not go to college. There's a Master's degree recipient, published author/photographer, even a recipient of the University Award.

But whatever their chosen academic or career paths, they each still love learning and each stay current with news and politics. In other words, they are active, upstanding citizens, enjoying their lives. That is what makes it all worth it!

I view homeschooling very favorably. The decades of research on homeschooling supports this favorable view as well.

It's a form of child abuse, in my opinion. There are always kids on here saying they're homschooled and so lonely they don't know what to do. There are many important things to be learned in school that have little to do with academics- negotiating, compromising, persuading, dealing with the politics, etc. I know homeschooled people who are really at a disadvantage when they enter the workplace because they haven't learned those lessons.

• df2 months agoReport

Did you never encounter anyone who had those struggles who went to public school?

educated parents are required to get good results. plus the willingness to spend for quality materials

I don't care for it because I think kids should interact with kids other than their family members.

• pearlmar

Homeschooling usually involves the children of the same family. I have a relative who home schools and all the kids are hers.