Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 2 months ago

When you were a teenager or still are, If your parents told you you can not do something, and you really wanted to do it, what would you?

think if they told you what the punishment was before you did it? Wouldn't that be a better way to handle the situation? Why or Why not? So then you can decide whether or not going against your parents wishes is worth the punishment you will receive. Wouldn't that make you more responsible and accountable for your own actions? Describe please. P.S. This question is NOT for parents of teens to answer.

Thanks.

Best Answer

If my parents told me I couldn't do somthing, they explained why. They were (and are) reasonable people whom I love and respect, so defiance wasn't something I wanted to do.

Our girls were the same.

When I was a teen, I was too scared to go against any rules that my father made. He was a very loving parent, but holy crap when he got pissed off...🤣

• GB

I mostly did what my parents told me too, believing I would be found out, if I didn't. I just looked forward to when I would be older and could make my own decisions. My parents had a big issue about something they called 'anti-social' - the fact that I refused to drink alcohol on special occasions. (I live in England.)

I mean, I got married when I was 19 against my parents' wishes, her mom's wishes and a lot of other people's wishes so....the answer to your question is 'yes'. Of course, I regret that decision and will never marry anyone again.

• edward

My parents did do that...sometimes. They told me not to go somewhere and of course they know i’ll ask for a reason so they follow up with a reason why and they knew i am a thinker and how i can do something without them knowing and they’ll give me the punishment if i did. The punishment was always something extreme. I only challenged them once until i realized my parents don’t threaten people, they make promises

• Amber

I would NOT do it. That's the truth. I don't have kids but I was mature enough to understand that they said 'No' for a reason and that I had to respect authority. I couldn't see the danger but they could.

Hope that helps

Please don't then come back here and whine about how unfair your parents are.

• Vicki

Well, as a teenager I knew I was responsible for my own actions and often knew what the punishment would be ahead of time. But I didn't care. It honesty usually depended on what the thing was. If I REALLY wanted to do it often times the fun would outweigh the punishment.