What are the steps to get into the airforce?

2013: I should of joined since I graduated high school. However, as I approached the airforce booth, a marine recruiter pulled me in on his booth about how great the Marines are. Then I last minute realized how much I wanted to be in the airforce.

2019: I am sick of working warehouse jobs, I have no home and can't finish an associate's degree. I know about taking the ASVAB. Do I walk in a airforce recruiting center and take the ASVAB? What if I want to do well, wait and study before walking in a center? Someone told me that I can sign up for it and then take my test a later date, is that how it works? What about the 2 year enlistment option, was that article for real? How do I find a recruiter, where are they?

• Jason
    Best Answer

To my knowledge, the USAF has not offered a two-year option for at least ten years or more.

The process is pretty straightforward: You make an appointment (or just walk in) with a recruiter. They are all over the place. Search for "Armed Forces Career Center." Plenty of these offices have recruiters from all four branches there -- be mindful that you don't get sucked into something you don't want.

The recruiter will walk you through the steps and let you ask questions. They are salesmen: Their job is to sell you on a military career and fill a slot. Recruiters rarely lie outright, but like all salespeople, they're going to highlight the good parts and not talk about the bad parts. So do your own research and do it well -- you wouldn't buy a car or a house without knowing something about cars or houses and you don't just take the salesman's word for it. Don't sign a legally binding contract with the federal government without doing the same due diligence.

Your recruiter will set you up to take the ASVAB. Spend some time with the online practice tests. The ASVAB determines your job and that's what you spend the most time doing, so if you hate your job, you'll hate the military. You want to do as well as you can because if your scores minimally qualify you, you're stuck with those scores for two years -- even if they aren't good enough for the job you really want. Don't sleep on that test. Put in the work to do well.

The USAF will not guarantee a job on active duty. You are given a list of jobs for which you qualified on the ASVAB and that have open slots. You pick ten of these. Most folks get one of their top three and almost everyone gets one of their top five. Alternatively, you can go in on an Open Contract in a MAGE area (Mechanical, Admin, General, Electrical). If you find you like a bunch of jobs in the Electrical area but hate the idea of Security or Admin, you can choose an Open Electrical contract. You still don't get to pick your specific job, but you'll definitely get something in the Electrical area and definitely won't get one of the other areas.

When you're looking at jobs, search for the CFETP for the job. That has everything about the training, career progression, duties &responsibilities, and technical references. It contains every task you can be trained on and the schools you can go to. It's the most complete source for information about what a given job entails.

After you complete your initial paperwork and take the ASVAB, your recruiter will schedule a day at MEPS. Your day at MEPS is mostly your physical evaluation plus some more paperwork and making your job selections. You typically take your oath of enlistment there as well (unless you already did at the recruiter's office which is also an option sometimes).

Following your MEPS appointment, you wait. You'll be notified by your recruiter if you need to provide any further documentation, etc. Assuming everything goes as planned, you'll get a ship date for basic training. Depending on your job selection you may know before you leave what job you'll have, otherwise you find out in basic.

Some of that process can vary depending on where you live or if you have any other issues that arise (if you live a long way from a MEPS they will sometimes make back-to-back appointments and have you stay overnight in the area; if you need a waiver for anything that can delay the process, etc., etc.).

That's mostly it. You go to basic training, graduate, then go on to tech school for your job. From there you get your duty assignment.

The Reserve and Guard are a different animal. If you're considering either of those, know that they have slightly different recruiting processes and the jobs are assigned differently.

Best wishes.

.

Source(s): Former USAF flight medic and training manager
  • 88

If you can't find a recruiter looking on-line, then the Air Force is going to be too demanding when you have to check the countless e-mails per hour...

Hey, the ASVAB isn’t THAT difficult of a test to do good on. The purpose of the test is to see what areas you’re strongest in and what job areas you’d be best in. I took mine, without knowing what it was, after a double at McDs, and I did good enough to where I qualify for every job in the Army. Your goal should only be to do your best in every subject. If you can manage a 110 GT score, every possibility will be open to you. But don’t over think it.

As far as Airforce recruiting goes, they are more strict than the other branches. When I spent a month helping recruiting efforts, Airforce was constantly pushing people out way (once again, Army). I probably enlisted 4-5 people within that month alone because they weren’t qualified for the air force.

That isn’t to discourage you, the best thing that you can do at this point is to go talk to them. But when you do, know what field you want to work in!

I’m not a recruiter, so I’m not talking on behalf of the Army! Hope this helps!!

This link will help answer your questions!!

Hope this helps,

Flagpoles Etc.

• JetDoc

If you can post REALLY STUPID questions on an Internet Q&A board, you obviously have access to the Internet. Maybe you should go with the Marines, since it seems you're not smart enough to join the Air Force.

• Sir Integra2 months agoReport

I did google search everything. Put it this way, you have the common cold, then search up symptoms and assume the worst by what is shown to you. :)

the 2 year enlistment option doesn't really work in the air force. the jobs you can do are very limited-- and usually sucky jobs

Walk in to the recruiting office and tell the recruiter what you want.

• Mrsjvb

Should HAVE.  Air Force is TWO words.  they also never had a 2 year AD contract.  that was only Army and Navy and the Navy stopped theirs years ago.  

• Sir Integra2 months agoReport

Thanks, I just noticed that I combined them. Typed this at 3am.

If you have to be told to contact the nearest recruiting office, you won't meet Air Force recruiting standards.

There ISN'T a 2 year enlistment option, and NEVER HAS BEEN.

If you can't find the recruiting office, you don't meet the recruiting standard for ANY branch of the military.

• Daniel

The Air Force did offer a limited number of 2 year enlistments over 10 years ago.  I met 1 Airman that was on one.  

• ?

Within the last few year, the US Army had a special 2 year enlistment option. Call up the Army Recruiter and ask if it still exists. The normal Army enlistment term is 4 years. The US Air Force Enlistment options are 4, 5 or 6 years.

How to find a recruiter -- Google it and you will get everything.