Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 2 months ago

Classical music vs popular music?

What are the major differences between these two categories in your opinion.

Classical music is essential when it comes to doing BGM for movie scenes.

When you need to bring out an atmosphere of suspense, tension, or of melancholy, or jubilation. or grandness and greatness. Classical music can be as huge as the universe and as strong as the Niagara Falls.

A cheapo rock band simply can do none of the above.

The way I see it, it's a matter of longevity. Classical music can be hundreds of years old and still be performed and listened to by paying audiences. Recently composed "classical" music has at least the potential of doing likewise in the future. Popular music can cross over if it remains popular long enough. For example, Strauss waltzes, Sousa marches, and operettas were all originally created to be popular entertainments, but are now considered classical.

Popular music generally seems to last about six months. Who besides me even remembers Teresa Brewer's songs?

Composing classical music is like building a cathedral. Composing popular music is like building a world's fair pavilion.

Classical music is meant to be permanent. Popular music is meant to be disposable.

-----------------------

Another way to look at it is instrumentation.

Classical music often calls for groups of bowed instruments, in large orchestras or chamber ensembles.

Commercial popular music often needs guitars and percussion, but seldom bowed instruments. (I say "commercial" to exclude folk music and what used to be called country and western (Grand Ole Opry), which I am not sure are included in popular music for the purpose of this discussion.)

------------------------

Yet another way:

At classical concerts the audience remains seated.

At popular concerts the audience often dances.

-------------------------

Grundoon's point is well taken.

• Gregg
      3 weeks agoReport

And I know of no popular music than lasted a century.

• Gregg

I like both. In my younger years, it's popular music. When I started hearing my parents play classical music, I began to like them as well.

I think popular music includes several different styles. When I do play it (which is very seldom) I like to improvise.

Classical music is designed to be ART. Therefore it takes very careful listening, and the more background knowledge you have, the more you can appreciate what is going on. Some of the works are lengthy - because there is a LOT going on. Some people are sports fans, or GOT fans - the more they know, the better the experience. They will rewatch episodes - or 70s Yankee games. POPULAR music is meant to be very easy to listen to - everything is obvious. Works are shorter (because listener's attention span is) and having backgroung knowledge is not so important - just interesting to know who is dating who, etc.. There are times when classical and pop music touch - TOMMY, Eleanor Rigby, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Sondheim, David Bowie, Film scores, etc. Not often enough . . .

Source(s): Career fulltime musician since 1973. Every day, every dollar.
  • RockIt

popular music is delivered in the form of a song.

Classical music is delivered in the form of extended pieces and works: Operas, Sonatas, concertos, symphony/orchestral movements, dance forms, etc.

• RockIt

The question is broad, so I decided to pick the one distinguishing thing that sticks out different from classical to pop, and that is Classical has huge pieces of music, you rarely find that in pop, its a 3 to 5 min. song almost every time in pop music with occasional notable exceptions.

• audrey

Popular music is good, classical music sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard.

In classical music, the tempo is set by the conductor.

In modern music, it is set by the drummer

• Mamianka

Actually, tempi are set by the COMPOSER - in both styles.

One of the differences is that classical music is more geared towards ballet or waltzes. Popular music is more for today's free style fast dancing.

No question in sight. Next!