Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

In the UK, if your tennants trash your property before they leave, can you get compensated for the damage done?

Also who will compensate for the damage done by the tennants?

I mean if the tennants trashed the house just before they leave, whether they were evicted or whether their tenancy agreement came to an end, if they trashed your house, can you as the landlord get compensated for the damages?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Of course. Take the damages out of their security deposit. If it falls short, sue them.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 2 months ago

Compensation from the government or something...absolutely not.

You can probably keep their security deposit (which I'm guessing isn't enough) and you can sue them for the cost of the damages.

Even if you win though, tough to get blood from a stone...meaning if they don't have any money...it will take a long time to collect...if ever.

• 2 months ago

You can keep their deposit, and you can take them to court for any costs beyond this amount.

• 2 months ago

That's what your Landlord Insurance is for.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

That is what their deposit is for - you use some / all of that money to make the necessary repairs

• 2 months ago

yes, by the tenants or your insurance

• 2 months ago

You can take them to court and get a judgement for the provable damages they did (USA here but I suspect the law is very similiar there). Enforcing the judgement is a different matter. If they simply refuse to pay and have minimal assets you may just be out of luck - you can't get blood from a stone. However, at least you can have the judgement listed on their credit so that other landlords and credit issuers will know how bad they are and who knows. Maybe they will pay it off just to improve their credit.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.