Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 3 months ago

Why does Zillow say my house is a 3 bdrm 1 bath when it's a 4 bdrm 2 bath with a family room?

I see it also is saying the rent, and it's not rented out, I'm living here, has gone down $133.00 in the last 30 days. Where do they come up with this kind of stuff? My house originally was a 3 bdrm 1 bath, and the previous owners got permits & added on.

First, zillow is not an authoritative source. The county auditor probably has bad info if permits were pulled. However, where I live, regardless of if there is a bed in a room, it may not be counted as a bedroom unless there are 2 points of egress. A friend had converted his basement into a spare "bedroom" but because there were no windows that open, it could not be counted as a bedroom.

Zillow is notoriously inaccurate.

It says it's a 3 bedroom 1 bath because it used to be one.

The rent is an estimate and the estimate goes up or down depending on what similiar houses in the area are renting for. The mistake on the number of bedrooms and baths is probably because the new numbers never got into the tax records even though they were properly permitted - this isn't unusual at all.

Zillow ESTIMATES what the market rent would be IF it was rented. Believe it or not, potential investors like this information. It is NOT saying that the property is being rented.

Zillow also collects data from original construction - it does not necessarily search through records of building permits/additions.

• Judy

Most of their info is accurate, but not all Check your tax assessor's records to see if it's wrong too. Sounds like Zillow has the old info.

The original property tax statement May list it as a three bedroom with one bath it may have been modified since then.

YOU have to update the info. I did for my house. Also, I got a letter from the city water dept asking why our water consumption was so high for a 3 bd 1 bath house. I told them it's now 5 br and 3.5 baths and 8 adults living there.

There's a place you can click on to tell them about the addition so then they'll list your house properly.  But until you want to sell the house, why would you bother?

Also they calculate a plausible rental rate just as they calculate a plausible price for your house.  Neither of those numbers bear any relationship with reality.  If your house is in a desirable neighborhood where a lot of people want to move in, the real value is higher.  If there's a low vacancy rate for rentals, the rental price will be higher.  In housing, just as anything else, the real price of something is what someone is willing to pay for it

• .

Zillow doesn't know about the addition the previous owner did.