Is it safe to have sex with a condom if my partner has herpes?

So im a 15 year old boy and this girl im speaking to (thankfully) told me she got genital herpes earlier this year, before we did any intimate acts. At first i was shocked but i want to try and make this work. She told me she hasn't had any outbreaks since. So i wanted to know, What is the probability of catching genital herpes from her if i used a condom?

Please any advice is helpful.

I got the disease from a woman who let her sexual urges get the better of her to have sex with me and NOT TELL ME. Just a terrible situation. You had better think carefully, condoms may NOT help  and you could still get it. If infected cells are on her pubic hair, you can STILL get it. If she's taking the antiviral meds it may help, but you are definitely looking at being infected sooner or later if you get intimate.I know its sometimes almost impossible to STOP going forward when sexual contact is imminent, but you really have to balance some serious implications vs sexual gratification now.

No condom will break or slip

• Rick

Safer then WHAT ?? Juggling hand grenades ???

stick to syphilis, it's much more cooler

admit it..............she's just a dirty little girl. Herpes is the gift that keeps giving and giving and it's a life long problem. Say bye

• Herpes can be passed even if condoms are used. It doesn't protect all areas of the genitals that herpes can affect.

If she didn't have a break out and if she's taking antiviral medication, your chances of getting it are not zero but very small. If she gets any signs or symptoms of a break out, avoid having intercourse and giving her oral sex until the break out has completely gone away. I contracted herpes from a long term partner. They had no symptoms of it so they didn't know they had it.

• I caught it from my husband while were were dating, he didn't know he had it.
      I've had herpes for over 10 years, I have symptoms when I'm stressed out other then that I'm doing just fine. You how ever should get tested for herpes since you were exposed to it, you could have it.

Well you can not come into contact with any of her body fluids. And that will be hard not to do while trying to be intimate.

• Marc
  • Pippin

How are you jumping from 'this girl I am talking to' to 'this girl I am going to have sex with'? I truly hope that you DON'T have sex (or expect to have sex) with every girl you talk to.

And really at 15 I'm not sure why you are considering having sex at all. And if the girl you are talking with has been having unprotected sex already and has contracted herpes from it, I'm trying to figure why SHY is having sex already (and has been since 'early this year.')

Talking is fine and rewarding, and a great way to spend time with someone you like. Stick to talking. Her vagina will still be there in a few years.

• Pippin
      4 weeks agoReport

Vast amounts of statistical research.

Are you truly this dumb and desperate that you would risk contracting genital herpes? Do not have sex with her if she's not a long term partner...you don't know what else she may have. Also, herpes is just the gift that keeps on giving, so if you get it, you can never get rid of this. Condoms work but if you come in contact with any exposed herpes sores or areas, you are screwed.

• Condoms don't work because they can't protect all areas of the genitals that herpes can affect. If there's a break out where the condom doesn't cover you're screwed.